Premium / Super Unleaded

adamski310

Jul 6, 2024
So, I run my personal cars on premium unleaded (and premium diesel in that past) where required . No idea if it's beneficial but cap say 98/95 so that's what goes into it.

Now I've always been a Shell V Power fan, no idea why and Shell Garages are everywhere by me, so easy to get to. However, £1.69.9 is taking the biscuit I feel now. So I read around some forums and see Tesco Momentum 99 often given good reviews and some YouTube videos where there has been some form of comparison between the various brands. Tesco and V Power typically lead the way.

I decided to go to Tesco and their Momentum 99 is £1.50.9. Now that's a significant saving over the V Power in my opinion.

No idea if it's better or worse than V Power or what these secret cleaning additives do (or are). But I'll have a go at that price saving.

What are other people using?

Reactions: Volonte

tracktoy

Jun 11, 2023
I have been a V Power / Momentum for well over 8 years, my Local Shell Garage has just moved over to Esso so they only do 97 so I am now having to go to Tesco to get fuel or use an octane additive to get back up to 99 Ron.

From memory (and it was a very long time ago) the comparison on this and other forums said both fuels were very good but generally V Power was better because they generally turned over the fuel much quicker than Tesco so the fuel was not siting in the garage tank for so long and thus did not loose some of its potency. Now personally I have used both and I could not tell the difference between the two and as my motor is mapped for 99 Ron I am happy with either.

Reactions: adamski310

adamski310

Jul 6, 2024
The tesco garage that I use is always busy. It is right next to a massive tesco and notcutts and just off the motorway. Hopefully that means it turns fuel over quickly lol

Aug 5, 2024
I often use Tesco 99 which, I believe is Esso and I use the Esso 99 from Esso as well. I've used Jet and Shell Super E5 and they all seem similar to me regarding economy and performance. As long as it is E5 and 97/98+, I think you will should be okay.

adamski310

Jul 6, 2024
Well I'm chuffed as it's now only £1.43.9 a ltr for momentum and the shell is still at £1.69.9. So my local Tesco has reduced the price by 7p a ltr since I started this post....

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
If your cars not mapped for a specific fuel, anything's probably alright. Standard fuels might pull a bit of timing as the Cupra is designed for higher performance fuels. What does it say on the fuel cap / in the manual? I think BP Ultimate is 97. I can only go on bits I've read here (unless I can find the sources again). But 99 fuels - Esso, V-Power-Momentum comes down to consistency (how often they are actually 99 RON or above) and how they got to it (e.g. using good fuel vs more additives to bump the RON up). I believe it was R-Tech that said the Esso stuff was consistently pulling timing during mapping. So it's unlikely it was consistently 99 RON.

So I always use V-Power which is what I was mapped with... in a pinch, I'd use Momentum. But haven't had to as of yet.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Just for reference, I'll throw this in here. Done on a Cupra 280 and link if you want to watch the full thing:
1725631332386.png

adamski310

Jul 6, 2024
Yeah, I've watched those videos and a few others discussing the ethanol content of various fuels.

I've mapped cars previously, or at least had cars that were mapped for 99. I think the cap inside says 98/95 so I use momentum as it's cheaper and from the videos I've seen, always seems to be up there as one of the better options.

I used to use Vpower all the time but not when they take the Mick with prices, as there is now a 26p difference between the two here.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Yeah, I've watched those videos and a few others discussing the ethanol content of various fuels.

I've mapped cars previously, or at least had cars that were mapped for 99. I think the cap inside says 98/95 so I use momentum as it's cheaper and from the videos I've seen, always seems to be up there as one of the better options.

I used to use Vpower all the time but not when they take the Mick with prices, as there is now a 26p difference between the two here.

Yeah, better off sticking to V-power / momentum. Interestingly enough, when they are looking over the results, although v-power and Momentum score the overall same max HP, the Momentum performs consistently better for ignition timing. I'm thinking all these years I've been using v-power I should have switched over. Plus, like you say 26p a litre difference is massive.

adamski310

Jul 6, 2024
Yes, I've seen on various YouTube videos that momentum 99 tends to be one of the best when they load the data.

Doubt it matters or makes too much difference in the real world as I very rarely stick mine in Cupra mode lol but I'll save 26p a ltr all day :)

Reactions: Legojon

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
I use Shell V Power, Esso Supreme 99 and sometimes Tesco momentum, I've not noticed any difference between them other than much smoother engine than any E10 and less water in the tail pipe, same with Texaco's Supreme but not used this for some time now.

Tried Sainsburys E5 but the engine sounded quite rough on this..

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.