power for tomtom

dchbrown

Feb 17, 2006
South Coast
Hi all,

I was wondering if you could help with something im trying to work out.

I need to find somewhere to plug in my tomtom satnav power cable.

Now its a ciggy socket on the end and i dont think just wiring it in is an option because the power connector is also a convertor cos the tomtom isnt 12V (i think - cant remember off the top of my head)

Now i know that i can just connect it up to the lighter socket but that would look awful in the car because it would stick out miles from the socket!! So what im wanting to know is what has anyone else done with their tomtoms to get power to them?

Cheers,
David

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
What I did on the Leon was get a cigarette lighter splitter thing from Halfords and wire that in under the dash, it was a four way thing.

Then the TomTom (actually mine was a PDA, but the same difference) power lead plugged into that under the dash and ran up to near the vent mount I had it on.

Under the lower dash bit, below the steering wheel there's a bit where you can keep your manual, mine was behind that so I could just get other chargers plugged in temporarily, like the DVD player I borrowed when we went to the South of France.

Behind that lower dash there's a power distribution block that has both a switched and permanent live, so you can choose which is best for you.

There is/was a very good guide for doing this on www.icecavern.com

Edit: http://www.icecavern.com/howtos/leonlowerdashtrim/main.php

I'm assuming the Leon and Tolly are the same

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members