Philips X-Treme bulbs

TDI_luver

Jul 11, 2006
Ireland
I had upgraded by stock headlamps (Dipped main beam H7) last year to Osram Silverstar +50%, and thought the improvement in light quality was very impressive...just changes the H7's again to the new Philips X-Treme +80% and WOW....awesome...

They really pick out roadsigns and reflective paint on the road like no other...very intense white light, the best I've seen so far for cars without HID lamps.

Cost about £30 in the UK off the net, well worth it in my opinion.

ps Main Beams still Osram Silverstars +50%......Philips X-Tremes not available in H1 yet.

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
I got a set of 80watt halfords bulbs for £6.99 for H7, and the difference in them was great, can see where i am going with them! not been flashed once so not glaring other users. need to get them set properly again though, think there more potential from them if i do this!

TDI_luver

Jul 11, 2006
Ireland
Hey Googies...IIRC, you said you have a Toledo 1.9 tdi reference ('05 ?)....can you check for me if your rear door tweeters work OK (of if they ever worked?)...mine certainly dont...if they are bust, iwant to get them fixed before I upgrade the main cones to something better than the stock rubbish !

Thanks

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
I will check, i had an issue with the drivers tweeter while ago. got it fixed eventually by dealer and new radio unit. Havnt got car at minute, but will do this evening. are yours bust completly?

TDI_luver

Jul 11, 2006
Ireland
Yep...both of the rear tweeters are dead ....I really do think they did work when the car was newer....almost certain about that. Just wanted to check with someone else who has a Tolly Reference.

Thanks !

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
It difficult to pinpoint if both dead, my drivers side was easy as could hear most sound from left side. By any cahnce do you have Vag-com or point me in direction of a cheap cable for our cars, had a link but doesnt work now!

Tell

Staff member
You put your ear to them Googie ;)... sort of get out and walk around and listen at each door....

I would suggest TDI Luver that you don't do anything with the tweeters and get combined cones . To work on the door unless any one has found out how a DIY works costs loads of ££££ since the door has to be disassembled to get at them. I don't think the tweeters least in the Altea are in the right place in any case since you get to hear the back at the same time as the front and with high pitched notes you want direction not a mush of sound. So I didn't wire mine up when I changed my speakers. They are on a loop through from the bottom speakers so there isn't even a proper crossover.

There is an Altea speaker thread... :).

The other question may be TDI Luver is whether the car is second hand since somebody may have already cut those wires since they didn't like the sound. If you take the bottom speaker grill off and have a look at the wiring plug and check..... that is where you disconnect the tweeters so they don't loop up to the top.

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
Thats what i was doing wrong!:doh:

I think mine are working, could hear everything quite well in there today. but as said they are a mess of a setup so best rid of them and new speakers, although i put mine back as replacements were sh*te.:blink:

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
Yeah, was said, probably thoguht by many, they were brilliant in my last car! but crap in the Tol for whatever reason there was?

Am on the look out for a good deal on decent speakers, my music tastes require something that wont flap about too much!

Edit: is this a bulb or speaker thread :lol:

Tell

Staff member
It digressed into a speaker thread... I wasn't convinced Googies that you installed the speaker adaptor kit and just bolted them in without, then I also thought that you weren't using Infinity ones, but some cheap speakers you got off the net but without inbuilt tweeters. Then our friendly Leon pests [only one mind you] that some times post on the other side who know everything about nothing, even thou they don't own a Seat etc and and so forth destroyed the conversation.

TDI_luver

Jul 11, 2006
Ireland
I didnt notice any 'friendly Leon Pests' on this thread....both Googies and i are Toledo owners, we are posting in the Altea thread since there is very little action on the Toledo forum, and our cars are essentially Alteas anyway (without the 'xl' suffix). I hope thats not the issue ??

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
Nope donth think it the issue? They were alpine speakers with tweeters built in, but seemd crap and were buzzing with adaptor, worked bit better without adaptor, have pics as proof! just fitted in an no more. have looked around for the infinities and similar but nothing within budget at moment.... 'flashes student card'.
My Rear Tweeters are working. You could check rear head unit conections and the speaker wires in the rear doors too, just to see if one got snagged or the like.

How would 100w bulbs perform using H1's, would it effect the electrics, damage them or cause a shut down of the lights, drawing too much power?

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
No TDI Luver the Altea church doors are very wide but not big enough to get some of those Leon's in ;).... I was referring to an old conversation that I'd had on the Leon side where some one got very prone to using @Tell, @Tell etc, evidently their medication levels needed adjusting since I don't think speakers are that big a deal. The Leon people had started using the Altea modification that I posted up on the Altea site and one person decided it was all crap and was going to argue the toss, even though from this board I expect that 80 percent of Altea owners have changed them on the basis off the thread.

Those Infinity speakers aren't that expensive Googies... you wouldn't be able to get Infinity ones installed without the speaker adaptor kit and that could have been the problem with the Alpines, too small or something. Student ???... twas years ago for me and I'm a student of life now.

I'd better get off the bulb thread, mine are Philip Night and Day or something like that, so they are blue and bright, but not as bright as the ones you are talking about. The last draw of straws people seemed mostly to be using the Osram ones but that was 9 months ago before the next generation of brighter ones came out. Klawit said get the ones I have or rather he said that is what the ones are he uses, so if it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me.... seems that most people change their Altea [family] bulbs early on.

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
They are expensive enough when you think about doing the swap at the most inappropriate times when funds are low! don't want to waste any more of the tax payer cash now;)

The 80watt H7 are good. Looking something bit stronger for H1.

Tell

Staff member
Well done, the wonders of internet in mis-calculating someones age. Well worth saving up for better speaker. Bizarre that Seat continues to install rubbish speakers in their cars and think that people won't notice, although the headend is pretty good.

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
I found putting the old OE ones back in that osund wasnt so bad, still puchy with right music, pure utter crap with wrong music though! Yeah, can be confusing on here not knowing age nor gender which sometimes is gotten to be very wrong! Got good deal, old car about to die through no real fault of my own, crap garage work was the main factor and Seat garage doing great deal, £8k for yr old 7.5k miles and took my old car off me for £2k!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.