Not content with temps w/ S3 IC. HELP PLS!

RodneyA

FR crazy
Nov 14, 2008
South Africa
this is my story...

...once upon a time, i tightened my actuator ONE full turn to try and hold more boost in which it did perfectly. tightened the actuator due to the fact i am situated 1400m above sea level... so not much air where i reside resulting in peak boost not being made.

on the down side to the above mentioned situation, my temps shot up to 34" which of course causes less boost and timing to be requested by the ECU.
so my 1psi that i gained by tightening the actuator was lost when its a hot day.

i then decided to purchase the S3 cooler and tighten the actuator another ONE full turn... that would be '2 turns' in total.

being in South Africa, ambient temps are very high this time of year, from at least 22" to 32".
anyways, logged last night for the 1st time since i installed the IC and made another turn on the actuator.
in 22" ambient temp, the result was intake temps being 27" all through the rev range.
there was no increase in boost at redline, from the previous actuator turn. there was a very very very slight dip in my boost graph at 4000rpm, from heat of course

basically only difference with the S3 IC and after 2 tightening turns of the actuator...
...the end result is a decrease in temps by 7" with regards to intake temps.

i have the following questions:
1. i have been advised to make 1/2 a turn back on the actuator to lower temps. will making half a turn back make that much of a difference to intake temps?... my goal is about 20" intake temps on a hot day.
2. increase meth mix to 60/40 as there's 0 timing pull (no negatives whatsoever) from way down?

let me know what you guys think.

thanx,
FR

RodneyA

FR crazy
Nov 14, 2008
South Africa
my apologies for not elaborating properly. i meant to say to a 60meth/40water ratio from a 50/50 which i'm currently using.

RodneyA

FR crazy
Nov 14, 2008
South Africa
Im sure you would add water to cool the inlet temps.

yes that is correct however meth too provides coolin to a point.the evaporation of water increases heat as well.i did try adding more water to cool temps once upon a time..intake temps actually increased.i am trying to increase power yet maintainin low intake temps <--forgot to mention that..oops ;)

Last edited: