New MK 2 Leon FR TDI 170 Owner

Jouster

Hello everyone.....

Happy New Year To You All

Just thought I should come and say hi as we took delivery of our 57 Leon TDi on Christmas Eve (3 weeks early so a nice Christmas present) and absolutely loving it so far.....

Having changd our daily use car from a Mini Cooper to this...the difference is amazing....yes it might not be quite the same build quality, but the difference in space, performance, fuel economy...just keep adding to the experience..

Managed to get a great deal from my local dealer in Colchester on both the final price AND the trade in price of the old car. Had everything on it apart from Sat Nav (the VAG sat nav is very poor in my opinion.....the BMW one in my M3 is second to none and when Ive used the one in my Dad's Passat Ive wanted to pull my hair out), so will just use my Tom Tom in the Leon as and when it is needed. Xenons, Winter pack, Bluetooth Phone Set,Convenience pack, Ipod Connection (so well fitted and better than the BMW option AND far cheaper), 18 inch wheel option topped things off and I really think it is a GREAT looking car now.

Loving a couple of things in particular...

Performance....Wow...the Cooper was a quick and fun car to drive and the handling was good too...but the power of the Leon is quite frankly amazing at times.....when the turbo kicks in Im sure a smile creeps across my face. I know diesel engines have improved a lot in the pasyt decade...but I had no idea they were that good...having done about 300 miles in it now, im so gad I made the move to diesel....and I'm already reaping the rewards in fuel economy (the petrol mini economy was quite frankly shocking....). To be honest my previous weekend car :whistle: was a V6 T TCoupe and I loved that but this thing just feels quicker (even with 80 less BHP).....and I'm now lukcy enough to have a M3 Cab to potter about in at the weekends :wtf: and yes its quick, but this thing still ticks the boxes when it comes to sheer acceleration and speed for me

Space.....the car is huge...have got five in it comfortably so far and that just wasnt possible with the previous car.....and the boot in comparison is cavernous.....so A++ there too

Have got a couple of queries/questions that I know all you Forum go-ers should be able to help me out with.

Was a little peeved that the car only came with one FULLY automatic key....and as both me and the other half use the car on the same day at different times, I really wanted to get another key....So enquired with the stealer and was a little shocked to get a price of £160 back :-o. so my question is....is there a chpear option to do this..ie, somewhere I can source this cheaper......cos I really do want to get one but didnt wanna pay quite that much...was expecting nearer £100 to be honest.

Last few cars have had armrests, and as I plan to use this car fror trips to Manchester and similar, when mottorway cruising, the armrest has been a welcome accesory in the past......Do SEAT make good ones....are they easy to fir aftermarket......do they do colour matched ones for the FR Tdi...ie grey/black material...I have seena few leather ones but that obvioulsy would look a little odd in mine)...so where is the best place to get one, what should I expect to pay, and are they easy to fit or should I get the stealer to do it for me.

The car did not have rear parking sensors as an option, and I know that as my other half is driving it more than me, it would be something that she would like to have...is there a decent aftermarket version I can buy and fit easily...if so where does it fit, and how much. Also, how does it wire into the car, is it quite well interegrated into the vehicle????

With the bluettoh phone kit, both our phones pair fine and take a recieve calls with no problems...however, I am noticing that the phone directory does not show the names for any numbers that are stored with a picture attached.....and ironically, thiese are the numbers I use the most......any ideas or suggestions.

Have seen someone mentioned a sunglasses holder....the car doesnt come with one hidden away anywhere does it...or am I just blind.

Also, has anyone fitted any Seat-Factory extras to their cars. I like the look of the Black powder coated aluminium sill protectors, the extra storage space below the parcel shelf...and maybe the footrest in aluminium as well... Has anyone actually fitted any of this kit themselves......and what does everything thionk of putting these on.

Well thats it for now...I intend to be a frequent rreader of the forum and look forward to all the info you guys can supply on the above...

happy new year everyone...

Jonno

Jouster

Ahhhh...did forget to ask.......Superchips...or equivalent....

Is it worth doing...Im not so worried about an overall performance improvement (although I woundlt turn it away) as it is already more than quick enough and the girlffriend will be the primary driver and she is not a speedfreak at all.. But if it improves the drive and fuel economy too, its worth considering...I guess!!!!!

So options, costs, anyone else got one...what are your views...would it be a good upgrade???

Thanks again

andrewb

Armrest fitted as dealer fir option.
It does match the FR interior and is good quality. (grey with red fleck)
Expect to pay around £100.

FRTDI170

Armrest is a must!! Best £100 you can spend for comfort, closely followed by gear knob..IMO, FR knob is difficult to get used to!

Leather on gear knob kinda matches the armrest too....

Did you mention which colour you went for??

Jouster

I have the Blck Magic option...which I love.....Gear knob I actually like...as its never cold...and feels comfortable i my hand....

Seeing stealer tomorrow so will ask about arm rest then

Moley RUFC

Up in the Lickeys........
Nov 20, 2006
Lickey,Worcs
Welcome mate,

Seat-Factory are a great firm to deal with. I brought my black mesh grille from them and it arrived in 2-3 days.

As for Superchips. There is currently many issues on the DPF with the FR. For the time being i would enjoy what you have and by mid-late 08 there might be an answer and a reliable chip. Problem is chip companys at the moment can only offer about 200/210 bhp. Anymore than that and all hell breaks loose, this on top of the fact many rolling road tests have confirmed most FR 170 are actually nearer 180/185 bhp as standard. In my opinion 400/500 quid for 20 bhp gain isn't good enough.

Lets face it the ''book'' says the FR can do 0-60 in 8.2 secs. Now when you do try a blast (safely of course) you will find its more like 7 secs.

Welcome to the world of VAG group where Audi & VW dont want you to know just how quick this little monster is :funk:

Do a search on DPF and see what i mean :(

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.