New Eagle F1 GSD3's (XL) - replace my Pirelli's (& Question?)

Lee M

Hi all,

Cheers for the help with choosing a new tyre.

I was going to put 2 new Pirelli's on but after you guys advising me, I pipped for the Eagle F1's.

I think they are a better tyre than the Pirelli's, with more grip. Put them on the back so I can wear out the existing 2 Pirelli's to make way for another pair of F1's. :D

I was told by my mechanic friend that the tred on the Pirelli is much better than the F1's for water dispersal and grip etc, but in practice I find the F1's best........ANY VIEWS from exsitng users???

Cheers

Lee

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
which pirelli's?
i have p6000 on my VRS and you can tell they are on the way out,they seem to have gone off on the last few 1000 miles,even with a plenty of tread visible,getting rid and fitting f1's as i know they are better,from experience,ok they won't last as long as the pirelli's ,but i know the grip will be there.and from what i have read,the V pattern on the tyre is there for grip/ water dispersal.
mechanics,what do they know anyway? :p

fickel

Rotary Rocks
Dec 7, 2002
Yorkshire
supanet.com
Having just binned....

the pzeros on my LCR for a set of GSd3's
No comparison......much better

Cars feels far more planted to the road.
I haven't had the chance for a wet drive but on damp roads the car is definately grippier.

:)

Cupramax

Uber pimp meister
Aug 1, 2001
I had PZero's standard fit on both the LCR and the new A3. Both got rapidly binned for Eagle F1's. I dont think the Pirelli compound suits the UK climate very well. They felt great in the summer but utter sh!te in the cold or wet (i.e. most of the time). Eagles seem the best all round...

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Have just fitted a new set of Pirelli PZero Rosso Asymmetrico to me Audi A4 - 235/40/18's as the old ones were down to the wear bars - spoke to me local tyre place who told me that there were several versions of this tyre and what was my car ? apparently the '91Y' version was made specifically for the A4 quattro. Paid £130 apiece fitted - ouch - matched anythig I could find on tinternet though.

The car is transformed by new tyres - vastly quieter, better grip and more comfy somehow.

Interesting to think about this - when manufacturers make tyres specifcicalkly for a car, who are we to say we can do better ? thought about the F1 route myself as I know they are good tyres but when I heard they were designed for the car it put me off going this route - agreed they could be designed for this car in spain rather than UK but non the less, for my car.

Cheers

Rob

Deleted member 7729

I'm due to get new tyres in the next couple of months and I've been pretty happy with my bridgestones. But I'm tempted to go and find a set of 4 Michelin Pilot Sports.

So on the list at the moment it's

Bridgestones
Goodyear Eagle F1
Michelin Pilot Sports
Dunlop SP 9000 / Maxx

neeleyveeley

Eyed Beauty
Mar 9, 2004
Midlands
Visit site
F1's still seem to be tyre of choice, i've had pilot sports in the past on another car and also fairly good tyre, last set on my LCR were ZZ3's - not as grippy but think that wear would be better.

Deleted member 7729

ZZ3, I assume that'll be Avon's?

I think I'll have to give Micheldever a call again for and get quotes for 5 x 225/45/17 and then see how much each will break the bank.

The 5th tyre isn't that important at the mo, as it'll be for a alloy spare as at the moment i've got a stealie..

Deleted member 7659

Mikey

Compare prices between Micheldever & Bracknell Tyre & Battery - I've usually found the latter to be quite a bit cheaper if you're buying 2 or more....

As far as tyres made for particular models go - the S2000 has a specific compound Bridgestone tyre which is different to the standard version of the same size. I was doing handling tests and we accidentally fitted the non-OE tyre - it had BETTER lateral stability and braking performance than the OE tyre......go figure, we couldn't!

Adrian

Deleted member 7729

I assume you mean micheldever are cheaper. I've also got to consider travelling costs etc.

The other reason why I'm tempted with my Bridgestones is that i've got a good milage out of them so far and can see a few more k yet. Depends what they say on the 40k service at the weekend.. Then it's mot time a few weeks later (just before the warranty runs out!!)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise