need advice ahead of next service

red line fun

May 24, 2004
Scotland
i'm a bit confused, read this and let me know what you think. for a short while now my car makes what i can only describe as a 'humming' noise when i press the clutch in, it lasts anywhere from 1/2 sec to 2 secs. i had thought it was possibly something to do with clutch as it only happens when clutch is being pressed in. much more noticeable at low (e.g. parking) speeds including reverse but suspect it's doing it through all the gears. my power steering intermittently makes strange noises when near to full lock as well, again only notice this when at parking speeds.

had these issues checked out at seat dealer a few days back. i thought they'd definitely hear the noise when checking car as it was quite loud to me when i parked car up outside their buildings (reversing straight into a space.) anyways they take car in and a short while after the guy advises me nothing wrong with clutch or power steering, the noise is being caused under acceleration (not with me it wasn't so slightly confused with that) and is being caused by cables/pipes that run over the top of oil filter? they advise whoever carried out my previous service has pushed these cables/pipes to the side a bit too severely i.e. stretched them a bit and it is this that is causing the noise. they advise the cables do have to be moved to access that part of the engine but whoever has worked on my car has not moved them correctly. they further advise it's this that is causing the power steering to be intermittently noisy when near full lock.

they're going to order required parts and will be fixed under warranty, however i have a fear of going to collect car and it still making the 'humming' noise as described above. does the garage explanation sound right to you as a possible cause of this noise? i'm really surprised they didn't hear the noise as passengers have commented on it. i'm kind of wishing i had asked someone to come out with me to hear it before they took car in.

my other fear is come next service the same might happen again as it'll be taken back to the garage that serviced it first time (have a service plan with them ... can you guess who it is!!)

andycupra

status subject to change
i can understand your hesitancy in accepting this explanation, although you have to give them opportunity to fix it, so id let them do what they plan, any luck it will help, but if not then go back straight away. If it does not fix it, if you can get it to repeat the issue before you leave the garage and show them at the time.

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
You need to let them have a look at it , next time stay with them to point the noise out and get them to explian there with you what the problems are , and what is needed to fix it.
Perhaps put it in writing as well.

red line fun

May 24, 2004
Scotland
thanks guys, i'm pis5ed off at myself for not asking one of their team to come out to hear the noise i.e. me demo it to them, but i think you're right, we are where we are so i'll let them make the changes they've identified and if it's still doing it i'll need to take it straight back in :(

yorkie1

i found as said above get someone out the workshop and go for a drive only way i got a rattle fixed

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.