My Silver Surfer - The story so far, 80% done!!

ClubAddict

Aug 31, 2008
Leicester
Hi all,

I've had my 2001 Mk1 Leon Cupra a little over 2 years now & long overdue to show some pics. But now got it to a nice standard even if not completely finished yet. All comments welcome, hopefully saying :coolthumb.

:D

Before:

Before.jpg

The Bit Inbetween - awaiting funds to do the bigger jobs!!

IMG_2671.jpg

IMG_2705.jpg

IMG_2672.jpg

The Result ........ So far!!

12.jpg

15.jpg

The work:

Performance
- Carbonio intake
- Forge DV
- ECS N75 Race valve
- Performance Torque Stage 1 Remap
- SuperSprint Exhaust (Already fitted, not quite sure if it's anything special)
- 220Bhp at last check

Handling
- Eibach Pro Kit Springs
- Spax non-adjustable shortened dampers

Cosmetic
- 18" Mas Italy alloys courtesy of Belsy, thanks to you as you started the addiction!! ;)
- Black side repeaters
- Debadged
- Full genuine LCR bodykit

Planned
- Small dent to be removed in rear drivers side panel courtesy of some **** in a supermarket car park
- Small area of peeled paint to be blended in on drivers side rear wheel arch, a sign of the old boys mature years
- Full alloy refurb as I haven't seen any that I like better than the ones I have
- Possible caliper painting but still debating this one
- A proper T-Cut & wax session when I can find the time having just moved house aswell

Finally, if anyone has ever debated/doubted the longevity of these cars, don't!! I bought mine at 117,000 & it's now done 144,000. It has taken some attention to update some of the older well used parts but it has been well worth the money spent for the enjoyment received in return. I'll have this car for some years yet!!

Any & all of your thoughts welcome or even suggestions on anything else you think might be worth doing to improve either performance or looks.

Thanks for taking a peek.

Andy. [B)]

Guffers

Resident Engineer
Apr 18, 2007
Very nice. Still going after 150k is'nt something that you find with most cars of that year!

May 20, 2008
Newry (An Dún)
Hey dude, nice ride, definately agree with gettin those side bumpers painted! it'll make it looks sweet!! Got a question for ya, Where did you acquire the body kit?! i want one! and how much did you pay to get it fitted/painted etc.. cheers.

ClubAddict

Aug 31, 2008
Leicester
Thanks for the comments guys. I was very lucky with the kit, combination of Ebay & this site. Front bumper was £120 with half the grills, just a drive to Manchester to get it & Rear Bumper/Skirts totalled £220 froma guy up the same way. Managed to get the spots off Ebay for £30. Remaining grills & fittings I just got from Seat. Fitting was by a friend of the family, £350 for painting & fitting.

My best advice to anyone is patience. Wait for the right bits to come up & don't waste your time with fibre glass copies. I was checking on here & Ebay daily & it was worth the wait.

MadDesign

Graphic Designer
Aug 28, 2010
Inverness, Scotland
Car is looking lovely. Just a quick question as I am looking into a 2001 Cupra for myself.......

How much was the LCR kit? And how hard was it too fit?

Cheers

ClubAddict

Aug 31, 2008
Leicester
Hi,

I got quite lucky with the kit, all were genuine Cupra R (no fibre glass etc). Front bumper was £120 inc top grills, spots £30, Rear bumper & skirts for £200, all from Ebay. Other required fittings & trims came to around £100 from Ebay or the Stealers.

I got it painted & fitted for £350. Fitting wasn't too bad but I'd say you need two pairs of hands & take care when drilling your sills for fitment of the skirts.

My best advice if you're going to do it is patience as the right bits do come up if you don't rush and at the right price. As far as I can remember the front bumper is £400-500 & spots around £150 a pair from the Stealers with all grills & fittings etc. And don't be afraid to ask the Stealer for a discount if you're buying several bits. I used to buy a few bits from my local garage & they gave me 20% off when I bought for this job.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask, happy to help any way I can.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members