• Welcome to our new sponsor Lecatona, a brand dedicated to enhancing performance for VAG group sports cars, including SEAT, Audi, Volkswagen and Škoda. Specializing in High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) upgrades.

My Brakes!

gaz258

Hello all
When i collected my leon fr+ from the dealer and drove it home i felt and heard a noise coming from the brakes, the feeling was that the pads were worn (that kind of noise). I took it back to the dealer who road tested it and diagnosed that the brakes require cleaning as the pads are nearly new. The car was booked in for the brakes to be cleaned but there is no difference, the feeling and grind noise is still there?
any advice appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 29, 2008
Midlands
Have a kit kat or are you talking about your brakes? ;)

Take the wheels off and have a look at how thick the pads are.

Either way, take it easy until you've diagnosed the problem!

:)

dav3

devilishd4ve xbox tag
Mar 29, 2007
Essex
As above while checking the thickness of pads have a look to see if there are any stones caught in the calipers. Had this on mine.

gaz258

Hello all
When i collected my leon fr+ from the dealer and drove it home i felt and heard a noise coming from the brakes, the feeling was that the pads were worn (that kind of noise). I took it back to the dealer who road tested it and diagnosed that the brakes require cleaning as the pads are nearly new. The car was booked in for the brakes to be cleaned but there is no difference, the feeling and grind noise is still there?
any advice appreciated!

well the dealer has cleaned the brakes and now put in a new set of pads but still the grind noise is still there especially 1st thing when it sounds like metal on metal:cry:

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
I have had this, first thing in the morning mine sounded like metal on metal but very quickly went away after feathering the brakes.
Don't have this any more as have new brake set-up :D

gaz258

well the dealer has cleaned the brakes and now put in a new set of pads but still the grind noise is still there especially 1st thing when it sounds like metal on metal:cry:

just noticed that the discs on both back wheels are badly scorn and rusty and both pads about quarter inch left. could this be causing the problem and also should this have passed an MOT carried out by the dealer i bought from?[:@]

mjt

Jul 12, 2008
just noticed that the discs on both back wheels are badly scorn and rusty and both pads about quarter inch left. could this be causing the problem and also should this have passed an MOT carried out by the dealer i bought from?[:@]

i had this on mine when i bought it a year ago, i only had maybe 1cm on each rear disc that was actually in use.
didn't really bother me as it passed the MOT and didn't affect braking. the only annoying thing was faint rumbling and wheel vibration under heavy braking.

had new pads fitted 2 weeks ago, and the rumbling came back when braking on the motorway. fixed it by doing very hard breaking from ~90 to 40.
when i got home i noticed bits of disc stuck on the wheel and massive corrosion on the discs. the rings that were rusty had pretty much broken off the disc! :-o

got new discs fitted today, problem solved

unless the top layer of the disc actually starts flaking off off, i wouldn't worry about it as it's on the rears.
unless you want to spend a few hundred on new discs, leave it for now

Jonwm

New to the MK2...
Jun 22, 2009
Tamworth
Not sure if it will put your mind a risk, my company thrash had started doing this, i'd done 110k miles on Saab dealer fitted brake pads, no problems, Lease company send it to an dodgy cheap indy in Birmingham for new Pads and Discs a few weeks ago now it grinds to a halt most stops!

Taken it back and they cleaned to no avail, the brake dust looks grey aswell, back to Saab diagnosed as "cheap" pads, fitted new GM pads and all is now fine.

The grinding did not affect the operation at all, just really annoying when your in the car all day long :(

moral of the storey is they tried to save a few pennies and had to pay for the job twice in the end!

Jon