More mk4 suspension troubles

liamhurley

Hi all - first things first, my motor is a 2002 Tdi SE (with 36k), and chassis-wise it's standard. And guess what...I need advice once again!

I had knocking from the front suspension just after buying it (which got pretty bad). I traced this to the front ARB bushes and links, which were changed, and solved the knocking problem. Except recently it's been knocking from the rear, and is now starting to do my head in big style, which has raised a few questions:

I recently borrowed a mates 306 GTI and not only was the handling outstanding (as expected - I once had a 309 GTI), it also rode like a Rolls Royce in comparison to my beloved little Seat! It seems absurd really...especially as the Pug has done over 100k and gets hammered on a daily basis. The opposite of my Ibiza, in fact, which manages to be both a bit roly-poly and bone-shaking at the same time.
I know the Ibiza has a 'hard' ride (I'd call it 'dreadful'...), but is there any kit or similar that can help improve the ride/handling balance? I might be looking to sort something out after Xmas, but didn't really want to spend a fortune...can anyone suggest a kit (or other cheapish fix) that'll actually work?

If I'm gonna be changing bushes, mounts etc, trying to just make it half civilised, is it worth upgrading the whole lot? My only concern is it'll ride even worse, and the front end is low already (can scrape speed bumps unless you go sloooooow).

Anyway, rant over! Basically, if anyone else has had enough of the poor ride, and has done something about it, your advice would be most helpful.

Cheers.

liamhurley

Really? Sounds good, a bit softer and better controlled is def what I'm after!

Do you have any ground-clearance issues now it's lowered though?

Cheers mate.

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
ive just fitted coilovers on mine (fk coilovers) and it has no noises handles alot better looks a hell of alot better and is a more confortable ride than my standard cupra suspension

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members