MK3 Ibiza Cupra.... My Daily Driver/Build Thread

Tucker157

Nov 20, 2010
Falkirk/Central Scotland
Hey guys, and girls.. :wave:

i decided after about 9 months of owning my Ibiza i would put together a build thread. i doubt much major progress will be on the cards yet, as im still only part time contract at my work. but as soon as this is resolved, i will be hybriding the car, changing all the suspension, poly bushing, and fitting an FMIC, wmi and some other bits and bobs.

Starting from the begining:

i bought a 51plate ebony black ibiza cupra it had 108k miles, and cost about 2grand, and has some goodies, the advert was:

Full Seat Service History up to ~75k. From then on its had its oil changed every 4-5k with VW Synta Gold 5W-40 Fully Synthetic oil. (Ive personally done 5 oil changes and 2 filter changes since buying the car with 78k on the clock!).

A/C, ABS, TCS, Electric windows + mirrors.

Timing belt and Water pump done at 79k with full coolant flush and change.

Had a full 80k service replacing the clutch and flywheel (listed below), fuel filter, pollen filter, spark plugs (one heat range colder as the car is mapped), oil change + filter along with new front pads and rear discs. I also replaced the coolant temp sensor as they are common faults on these. The n75 valve (solenoid valve which regulates the boost) was also replaced at 82k as it was on its way out.

The car has been inspected by several friends who are VW service techs and everything is in excellent order.

Modifications -

ICR 4 pot brembo upgrade (bought new from Seat by a previous owner!).

ICR OZ SuperTurismo Alloy wheels 16x7 4x100 et35 (Again bought new from Seat along with the brakes! These are specific fitment for the brakes and are modified by Seat at the factory to increase caliper back spacing. These are also rather rare!).

4 Brand new 205/45/16 Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's

New Ferodo DS2500 Front pads and standard fit Rear discs at 81k

FK Sport Edition+ Coilovers (height and 6way damping adjustable).

Seat sport MOMO front upper strut brace.

Revo Stage 1 Also have an SPS2 controller which will be included with the car. This is the latest version which includes a 100Ron fuel setting.

Pipercross Viper carbon enclosed induction kit with cold air feed down to the front of the bumper.

Lightened single mass MK2 Golf GTi 16v/G60 228mm flywheel and uprated VR6 clutch fitted at 82k along with new release bearing and pressure plate.

All solenoid valves (N249, N112s) removed and resistored from vacuum system to remove limp mode which is a common fault after remapping these engines.

All standard vacuum hoses ripped out and system redone using black silicone hosing.

Secondary air injection/EGR valve removed and forge delete plate used along with resistor.

Bosche 4bar fuel pressure regulator.

Turbosmart twin port half recirc/half BOV. This has been adjusted for as much recirc as possible.

AutoGauge 30psi Boost Gauge and Oil Temp guage fitted in Nomad twin pillar pod (backlighting matches dash).

Retro fit Aero Wipers/Rear wiper removed

15mm Eibach spacers and longer bolts on the back

Genuine B&M short shift kit and gear knob professionally fitted.

Standard SMIC and Cat-Back milltek stainless system (unfortunatley its a resonating centre section)

Standard Ibiza Cupra interior in black leather with blue Cupra embossed centers with no rips, tears or bolster sag, the rear headrests are modified to sit flush with the rear backrests.

Infinity 6x9 speakers mounted in the parcel shelf by a previous owner

MP3 tape adaptor with hidden wiring allowing for iPod or other mp3 player connection to the standard head unit.

The car has always been run on either Shell V-Power or BP ultimate (NEVER ghetto gas!) and has always been allowed to warm up properly and has again been allowed to cool down before shutting off. Its in excellent condition (I've washed it at least twice a week!), drives superbly and will return ~31 mpg around town and up to ~36 mpg on a long 70-80mph cruise!

since i bought this ive got a set of black Team Dynamics Pro Race 2's wrapped in Pirelli Pzero Nero's 205 45 ZR16 with 5mm spacers on the front to clear the brembo's.

ill put up some pictures and some of the stuff ive done soon...

Molehill_Mike

Rollin' on 20s
Jan 3, 2005
Bedfordshire
Sounds good! I recently bought a Black one too, was told I "wasn't allowed to modify it"... but somehow a Boost gauge, 007P, and a AUX in has found its way onto the car lol...

Get some pics up :)

Mike

Tucker157

Nov 20, 2010
Falkirk/Central Scotland
this is how it looks except i now have the rear wheels spaced 15mm each side.. looks a bit better..
Image0130.jpg

Image0131.jpg

Image0166.jpg

Image0163.jpg

Image0174.jpg

Image0165.jpg

Image0162.jpg

Photo0092.jpg

the pictures could be better but they are from my phone (2MP lol)

paul.

Tucker157

Nov 20, 2010
Falkirk/Central Scotland
shortly after doing the oil and filter change, a coilpack went, looking all the same age i bought 4 new plugs, 4 new coils(genuine dealer part) and then shortly after that, i had a flooding issue because of the water temp sensor reading a permanant -40oC so was over fueling like crazy!! and refused to start, so after fixing those issues :D i had a nice month of driving around, loads of snow, great fun!!

Then after that month, just after the snow had cleared, i was pulling into a parking space outside my girlfriends house, and jus about halfway in the road still, the car jammed to a halt, after much trouble trying to move it, the box had locked solid, and i didnt have two trolley jacks to pull it forward, as it was getting dark, i had just left it sticking out into the main road over night!!
next morning i come out to it and of course, no change, so i gave it big revs and popped the clutch in and out, hoping to break something free. and alas, a big bang and it drove the 3 or so feet forward and locked again! now with the smell of gearbox oil reeking out, i left it be to get a lift to pick up my tools... unbolted the N/S Shaft from the box, and tyed it in place, then pushed the car the half mile with the help of some friends to my friends garage where i stripped it and found the problem :

Image0095.jpg

ive found a few counts of this happening, the vw 'lets save money' team have decided to mate the ring gear to the diff with the use of rivets, not chunky high tensile bolts and nuts, one has sheered and caught up in the casing!!

Last edited:

Tucker157

Nov 20, 2010
Falkirk/Central Scotland
so i replaced the box and after a 550 mile round trip involving me taking a box out a car myself in someones indus unit, then returning home, (as my brother who drove is useless, esp. with a spanner!!) all in one stint, then next evening after rebuilding the car and driving it i found first gear to be very noisey, almost straight cut, which after costing me 200quid for the box i was very displeased to say the least!!! luckly 2nd to 5th are ok, and as i write this, some 8k miles on, its still going, whining in 1st nd going on its way. tho i have never brought it on boost in 1st for fear of it exploding!!

then at about 112k i replaced the rear disks after a close moment with a twat in a bus pulling out infront of me, and the pedal hitting the floor, because a back pad had defaced! looking at the disks, it was no supprise!! (apparently changed before at 81k)

Reardisc.jpg

a couple weeks and 600 miles later, i done a fuel and pollen filter and another oil and filter change!

Image0180.jpg

Last edited:

Tucker157

Nov 20, 2010
Falkirk/Central Scotland
Yeh, it still whines away in 1st lol cars at 135+k now! I also stripped the box a while back and found the pin holding the main large pin that the stationary gears in the diff rotate on had broke and said large pin was a fair way out the diff, causing the issue! I'm waiting till I get my k03s fitted and mapped till I get a well rebuilt LSD box, or it may give up along the route lol ill find out.

I really should get my butt in gear and update this, so much done and to be done soon that should be on here.... I'll openly admit I'm lazy! Haha

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Tucker157

Nov 20, 2010
Falkirk/Central Scotland
Im still to buy a 3" downpipe decat/sports cat, n all the gaskets, studs, bolts, nuts etc for fitting the k03 053, I'm changing every stud, nut, bolt, lines etc for new as I plan to keep the car for a long time, and its on 135k now so I like new bits! but Yeh I'm planning on fitting it before the summer.

I also need to fit my fmic, 2.5" piping, cold side reloc. etc I have sitting in my living room currently, the cold shitty weather is very uninspiring! Even in a garage, still doesn't make you want to take your transport apart lol

Last edited:

yellonvi-R

Sep 8, 2011
birmingham
I put a post on facebook page (sss) and nick r-te-ch gower said coldside is the wrong thing to do. Cant remember why but my god he went into some indepth explaination lol

Tucker157

Nov 20, 2010
Falkirk/Central Scotland
Care to post a link? I can see how small differences could be had from it, slightly less cooling to be done, and keeps the air flow moving in the pipework and in the same direction. however fail to see what downside to having it could be

yellonvi-R

Sep 8, 2011
birmingham
It was a few weeks ago on the fb page ill see if i can find it but i dont hold mich hope. Just what the dude nicky at r.t.e.c.h was saying.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members