Mixing tyres, front to rear?

blackbirdlover

:help: Looking for some advice. I replaced the standard 16" wheels on my cupra with 17's. The new wheels came fitted with Kumho 712 tyres. 225/45/17. The front ones are now fecked after only 8 or 9000 miles, but the rears are hardly worn. I read in autocar that you shouldn't have one make on the front and another on the rear. Is this gen, or is it perfectly ok to put another make on the front? Looking for something that'll last abit longer than that. :confused:

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
i have 225/45/17 on the rear (goodyear f1's) and 205/50/17 on the fronts (sorry) (priellis)not only different tyres but different sizes.
some bmw's come from the factory with different sizes front to back,as long as the rolling radius is equal all is fine.having different tyres on the same axle may cause problems iirc.
i will be changing to 225/45/17 fronts asap as new tyres on order,but i don't think i have endangered my family with them at present
edit:differening tyres on the same axle and different rates of wear would be bad

Last edited:

mik

irregular participant
Jun 26, 2001
Glasgow UK
Visit site
It's OK to put different brands (or versions from the same mfr) front and rear, but it's obviously not ideal. They'll have different grip characteristics, so you're likely to alter the oversteer/understeer balance slightly.

On FWD cars I like to swapt the wheels front-back through the life of the tyre so they wear out as a set and get replaced as a set of four.

I run 712's at the moment on the Leon (225/50/16), and they match everything I've read about them ~ not bad at all in the dry, not particularly strong in the wet, but they are extrememly hard wearing. Not sure you'll find another tyre that lasts longer.....

I have to therefore conclude that you;-
a/ Have a front geometry problem. Is the tread scrubbed badly?
b/ Drive like a n0b. ;)

mik

irregular participant
Jun 26, 2001
Glasgow UK
Visit site
PS -Jase did of course mean that he currently has 225/45/17 on the rear and (stupid original skoda size) 205/50/17 on the front. :)

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
mik said:
PS -Jase did of course mean that he currently has 225/45/17 on the rear and (stupid original skoda size) 205/50/17 on the front. :)
aye ,what he said,editted to match ;)

blackbirdlover

what mileage are you getting from your 712's mik? i realise i should've swapped them front to back, but i'll stick a new set on the front for now and change all 4 next time. No problems with my front geometry, they're both worn evenly, its just the nice highland roads up here, police free and twisty. no point on easing off with the right foot, i'll just buy more tyres!

mik

irregular participant
Jun 26, 2001
Glasgow UK
Visit site
I'm on approx 20K at the mo and (having swapped them front-to-rear once) I reckon they are perhaps 50% worn.

A fair part of that milage is on the motorway though, and the majority with the missus driving (whilst I snaffle the porker) :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.