Lumpy when pulling away for first minute or so....

lyceum

Hey all...

Hard to describe, but when I first pull away in first and second the engine sort of jumps as if its dying and then coming back suddenly, so you end up kangarooing a bit. After a few moments it is fine.

I have also noticed that if I give it a few revs, say 1.5k to 2k revs just after starting, its not so bad.

Wondering if its something I should be worried about...

Cheers,

Tom :)

vngtx

condensation inside the engine. maybe a slight head gasket leak? or core plug.

lyceum

Really? I've got no other indication that there could be a head gasket issue, runs sweet otherwise. What do you mean by core plug?

vngtx

its a metal plate that fits into the side of the engine block or head, theyre from when the engine was cast. stop water getting out. any sign of a water leak?
could be coil pack, fuel filter, or just overfueling.

lyceum

ok cheers man. Got a feeling could be a coil pack starting to go. Seen no evidence that they have ever been changed and its on 82k. FSH, so think plugs and filters should be fine but may replace for peace of mind.

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Hate to say it but sounds like what I had in my old Fiat which ended up being the head gasket on the way out. Check your oil and coolant levels, if the head gasket is on the way out it'll be consuming lots of either or both of those things.

keaney

Jul 20, 2003
Cardiff ,Wales
Visit site
Mate mines done this from day one,i just leave it warm up for a lil while before i drive off. Ive hard everything checked no end of times and nothing has ever been found,i think its just one of those things with these engines.

coops10

Sep 1, 2009
Middlesex
www.coops-photo.co.uk
Mine does it too, lumpy for the first five or six gear changes then its fine afterwards.

I have had to replace three coil packs in four months and noticed a tiny bit of oil on one when I replaced it, could be related to that ?