• Guest would you be interested in CUPRA or SEAT valve caps? let us know in the poll

• Formentor members, we are testing a new feature requiring selection of a model year when posting - more info here
  • Welcome to our new sponsor Lecatona, a brand dedicated to enhancing performance for VAG group sports cars, including SEAT, Audi, Volkswagen and Škoda. Specializing in High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) upgrades.

Knocking sound when turning engine off

Hampa1

Mar 23, 2021
A few days ago I noticed a distinct knocking sound while turning the engine off (vz310).
The sound seems to come from just below the armrest in the center console but that’s not where the sound comes from, probably below, maybe the gearbox?
It’s not there everytime, but particularly noticeable if I turn the engine off while gearbox is in reverse.

I haven’t noticed any gearbox issues or strange sounds while driving, still smooth as always. I will have the garage take a look at it in a couple of weeks while booked to check an issue with the climate control.
Anyone else noticed this?

Korefan

Jun 10, 2022
Latvia
Sometimes the same knocking you can hear when Press P button on the center console.
I think it is ok.

pkaps

vz310
May 10, 2022
Should be the gearbox going to P, can't think of anything else, I wouldn't worry unless it gets worse by time.

Hampa1

Mar 23, 2021
Hopefully that’s it, just strange that it suddenly starts to make noise after close to 1 year. Will mention it to the garage though.

Hampa1

Mar 23, 2021
The knocking sound has been confirmed by the garage, I will get the car back tomorrow after 4-5 days looking for the sound. They could reproduce it with my car and with another car as well. The factory confirmed it’s how it’s designed and that it’s not a fault. The explanation is that it’s something with the handbrake wires when the engine is turned off (sometimes). I will get the details tomorrow but it’s reproduced and registered In case it becomes an issue later on.

Kingskullz

Oct 23, 2022
The knocking sound has been confirmed by the garage, I will get the car back tomorrow after 4-5 days looking for the sound. They could reproduce it with my car and with another car as well. The factory confirmed it’s how it’s designed and that it’s not a fault. The explanation is that it’s something with the handbrake wires when the engine is turned off (sometimes). I will get the details tomorrow but it’s reproduced and registered In case it becomes an issue later on.
Do you turn your car off while its in reverse? Or do you press the P button before turning it off?

Hampa1

Mar 23, 2021
Do you turn your car off while its in reverse? Or do you press the P button before turning it off?
I usually just turn the engine off, sometimes in D, sometimes in R. I haven’t noticed any difference. The parking brake is set to be activated both ways I believe. Picked up the car today and I couldn’t reproduce it, but it only happens from time to time and there’s no logical pattern. It’s a rather loud ”knock” from the center console/gear selector area. I’m still waiting for the written explanation.

Reactions: Vissa

Kingskullz

Oct 23, 2022
I usually just turn the engine off, sometimes in D, sometimes in R. I haven’t noticed any difference. The parking brake is set to be activated both ways I believe. Picked up the car today and I couldn’t reproduce it, but it only happens from time to time and there’s no logical pattern. It’s a rather loud ”knock” from the center console/gear selector area. I’m still waiting for the written explanation.
Well, I have no idea if it makes any difference but I always put the car in P before turning the engine off. Also, I think the parking brake does not engage if I don't pull it as one time I forgot to engage it and the car leaned back a bit once I depressed the brake. I'd recommend asking the dealer or a mechanic for a bit more accurate advice on turning off the engine in D/R

Hampa1

Mar 23, 2021
Hello, I have the same sound while turning the engine OFF.

[SIZE=3]Hampa1[/SIZE], do you get any explanation from Cupra?

Thanks
They explained it as normal and by design, no details.
Never heard it in my previous Golf R Mk7 but it’s not the same gearbox as the VZ310.
I don’t hear it anymore since I put it in P before turning the engine off.

Oct 24, 2024
They explained it as normal and by design, no details.
Never heard it in my previous Golf R Mk7 but it’s not the same gearbox as the VZ310.
I don’t hear it anymore since I put it in P before turning the engine off.
Hi , I also yave this noise, knock noise that come when i push the start/ stop button.
Usually i push the parking button then the hand brake ( parking ) then start and stop .
Its new noies the car is new its 10 months on the road , I haven’t yet go to the garage.