K&N Filters, Induction Kits and the Like ...

highguyuk

Dec 14, 2007
Stafford, UK
Hey,

What exactly are the benefits of all this kit? I know nothing about all these, just hear them mentioned.

K&N (a brand, a good one I imagine) filter helps ... erm ... better airflow so the engine runs better? Are there any other makes?

An induction kit, nope ... no idea.

What else is there? What are the disadvantages, I presume fuel economy goes down the pan? Not decided to buy or anything, just doing some research for potential future on my 1.8 20V.

Banana Man

Team Banana
Apr 24, 2006
Kent
www.teambanana.org
Hi...
to put it simply...

The more fuel & air mix you get into the engine, the more power you get out of it. Economy is based on the most effecient combustion you get and how you drive so improving performance with kit and/or a remap will only hit economy really because as you have more power available...you tend to use it! :lol:
Economy is affected by so many factors: you driving, the other half driving (clutch killer:lol:), tyre pressures, windows up/down, air con...etc

Filters: more effecient airflow (K&N, Pipercorss, Green etc).
Induction kits: To feed as much cold air (more dense) to engine as possible.
Remaps: applies code to ECU, the engine managment which controls how the engine runs eg: fuel type, ignition timing, boost etc etc.

If you are new to the game but want an easy performace increase, go for a remap. £400 and get a lot of bang for your buck. Then over time you will want a bit more power, improved handling etc, but bear in mind the engine is now running over factory spec so it is wise to gradually uprate various parts for the longevity of the engine etc. First things usually are Divervter Valve, hoses etc.
Hope this helps.

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
worth noting that cleaning a used air filter/induction will require a spray of special oil... helps block particals ect.

too much oil can leave a residue on the maf sensor... and kill it.

have a search on this site, most of the brands have been tried:)

andy661

i have a K&N 57i fitted to my 1.6 S, and even with my binary foot i normally get 445 - 460 miles per tank... dont really notice much except for the roar when you floor it...

Andy

OFI

Sep 5, 2007
Salisbury
Out of interest do the panel filters make any noise difference on the Leon? I know a couple of people who have used them and have gained more of a roar, but i'm sure I read the Leon has baffles which prevent this..

Deleted member 20376

its hard to say ive got a KnN panel filter in mine but it roared before it does suck with more of a grunt tho. but wud be twice as load with a kit. just worried about the hot air with a kit on.

Jimski

Back to the fold!
Nov 3, 2007
Staffs
Dude, PSI Tuning (Newcasle Under Lyme) have got 30% of CC remaps until the end of February, im going up on saturday to pick up a Quikshift Induction Kit (same as Powertec) and to look at the possibility of the £175 remap for mine.

FYI Powertec and Quikshift are 100% oil free, thus giving 0% chance of MAF damage, the aluminium mesh is EXTREMELY fine and these are used on all PSI's turbo and supercharger conversions. Im expection to pay around the 70-80 quid mark for the kit.

Il keep you posted.

Jimski

highguyuk

Dec 14, 2007
Stafford, UK
i have a K&N 57i fitted to my 1.6 S, and even with my binary foot i normally get 445 - 460 miles per tank... dont really notice much except for the roar when you floor it...

Andy

At risk of turning this into a fuel economy thread, I'm only getting 350-400 miles out of a tank! (without induction) :cry:

highguyuk

Dec 14, 2007
Stafford, UK
Just rang my insurance company to ask for the cost of induction kit - and they asked about the bhp increase.

What should I be looking to get from an induction kit, from a 130bhp 1.8.

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
Just rang my insurance company to ask for the cost of induction kit - and they asked about the bhp increase.

What should I be looking to get from an induction kit, from a 130bhp 1.8.

best check on the induction kit makers website.

but as a rule they dont really add bhp imo.if it did on mine i didnt notice:)
you might gain better response on throttle and it will sound better but thats the lot.

however they all claim to produce bhp so id check with the makers as its an insurance question. id imagine claims of 1-3 bhp?

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
Out of interest do the panel filters make any noise difference on the Leon? I know a couple of people who have used them and have gained more of a roar, but i'm sure I read the Leon has baffles which prevent this..

I got a bit more noise with the panel after i soomthed i got a bit more but when i drilled the airbox i got a lot more noise and the car felt a lot better.
I'm now waiting for a BMC CDA induction kit to come

jamiebennett81

there is a guy on here call J@mes and he runs the standard air box, smoothed with a panel filter and a massive air intake squeezed into it, think its made quite a bit of difference on his ,and well worth it, nice and oem looking as well

rich_lcr

i had panel filter in mine, improved noise slightly but not much.

bought a cold air infeed one off ebay, only £50

can hear the dumpvalve now and big improvement in induction noise

pic below

engine.jpg

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise