Is it normal for the 'service' lcd message to be on for a few seconds?

Atlantia

Nov 18, 2008
The South West
Turn the ignition on and I get the 'service engine' message, but it goes as soon as the engine has been on for a couple of seconds. Is that normal?

The amber light 'E(something)' does it too!

P.S. only had the cara few days, first Seat! I promise to get all the 'dumb newbie' questions out the way ASAP!!. ;-)

Last edited:

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
More than likly requires a service or wasnt reset after the last service.

Mines doing the same at the moment :doh:

Atlantia

Nov 18, 2008
The South West
More than likly requires a service or wasnt reset after the last service.

Mines doing the same at the moment :doh:

Wouldn't it stay on after the engine starts if it needed a service?
Would any garage (not a seat dealer) know how to reset it once theyve serviced it? I've never had a car with all these warning lights before, I'm used to morre 'basic' mechanics! its a bit daunting really!

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
Mine flashs and then goes away once the engine is started and i know mines due for its service.

Maybe they just forgot to reset it after the service it happens, or it hasnt been serviced?

If your sure its been serviced then have a search theres a few threads on here on how to reset it.

As for the lights id only tend to worry if they stay on, if you are worried get sombody in your area to scan it with vag-com just for piece of mind.

Atlantia

Nov 18, 2008
The South West
Mine flashs and then goes away once the engine is started and i know mines due for its service.

Maybe they just forgot to reset it after the service it happens, or it hasnt been serviced?

If your sure its been serviced then have a search theres a few threads on here on how to reset it.

As for the lights id only tend to worry if they stay on, if you are worried get sombody in your area to scan it with vag-com just for piece of mind.

Thanks, I'll check the service book in a min it was all done from new by the same person, a mobile mechanic (reputable one, checked him out before I bought the car) because the owner was a posh chap who lived out in the sticks, it should be up to date, but I guess he might not have re-set the switch.
How does the service warning work, is it simply a set number of miles after it was last reset?
I'll pay off a bit of the loan that bought it then get it serviced for peace of mind.
Vag-Com? Thats a diagnositc comp is it?

Cheers
Sorry for the newbie questions.

Gene

Dan1.6

1.6 Power FTW!!!!!!!!
Sep 26, 2008
Chesterfield
what iv got in front of me tells you to hold down the button were u reset your milage counter and swtich the ignition on turn the button right for a seconed and the display should clear then relase button and trun the igniton off
then switch it on and see if it worked :D

Atlantia

Nov 18, 2008
The South West
what iv got in front of me tells you to hold down the button were u reset your milage counter and swtich the ignition on turn the button right for a seconed and the display should clear then relase button and trun the igniton off
then switch it on and see if it worked :D

Brilliant! Thanks mate.

Atlantia

Nov 18, 2008
The South West
im guessing it worked then?

Well, I've copied and printed and I'm going to save it for once I've got the service done. I've checked and its due for one! Bloody nuisance, I'd missread the service history as the 12 monthly service/check having just been done, when in fact its just due! lol.
It was last serviced at 36k on the 23/8/07 so its about due now (its done 44k now).
I'm thinking I better get my local garage to do it ASAP. It does sound like a diesel when you start it cold! lol, possibly more than it should!! ;-)

At least then I can reset the service message and not see it at all for another 10k!!

Cheers mate
Gene

Dan1.6

1.6 Power FTW!!!!!!!!
Sep 26, 2008
Chesterfield
thats okay it should work thats what came with the car when i bought mine i do have some more information somwere else just have to look for it

bobak

Opinionated non-mechanic
May 15, 2008
just means it needs a service. it comes on for a couple seconds with the ignition. Mines doing it... trying to weight up SEAT service Vs Me

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members