• Welcome to our new sponsor Lecatona, a brand dedicated to enhancing performance for VAG group sports cars, including SEAT, Audi, Volkswagen and Škoda. Specializing in High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) upgrades.

Intermittent Lack of Power

Jun 25, 2024
Good evening,

I have an ongoing issue with my Seat Leon mk3 1.6 TDI and am looking for some advice to avoid extensive garage bills.

My car intermittently loses power for around 10 minutes. This can occur at any time but on a 130 mile journey a few days ago it happened on the motorway for 10 minutes then didn't occur again. On the 130 mile return drive today it happened a number of times during the 4 hour drive, on both the motorway and on country roads at 40mph.

The car will suddenly not respond to the accelerator. Even when flat to the floor there is no response. If the road is level there is enough power to keep the current speed but not enough to accelerate. If it occurs when going uphill as it did on the M62 this evening speed will quickly bleed off resulting in me having to crawl at 26mph to the next junction. The power came back around 5 to 10 minutes later, briefly disappearing an hour later for a few minutes before being fine the rest of the way home.

When power is lacking there is no spluttering, no misfiring, it just has no power. The rev needle doesn't jump around and instead moves smoothly, slowly going down as the speed bleeds off.

On the drive out it occurred at 70mph with cruise control set. Cars suddenly appeared to be passing me and as I glanced at the dash I saw the speed dropping slowly. I disconnected cruise control and tried the accelerator and there was no response.

The glow plugs were changed last week and this issue first reared it's head months ago but then disappeared. It has since returned.

What would be the best place to start looking please? Am I right in thinking it could be a fuel pump issue or filter blockage?

Thank you

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
Sounds like the best place to start is to do a scan for any DTC error codes. My 184FR sometimes does a strange thing where it just feels like you need to floor it to get it moving. No other side-effects, etc. I rarely use the cruise control, but I have noticed that it sometimes lacks a bit of resonsiveness when I switch it off.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
As above, you need to get it scanned first to see if there are any fault codes.
Has it ever had a new fuel filter? If the last one was more than a few years ago - you could do with a fuel filter anyway - and can cause strange cutting out issues.
Crank sensor can cause cutting out issues. (as can many other sensors!)

Jun 25, 2024
Hello sorry I forgot to mention. It has been scanned by the garage and the only code it has it P023B and P16BF which we believe to be due to an exposed wire which is due to be repaired on Friday. This is tripping fuse 7 (Engine power bay) in the engine bag fuse box. There's nothing obvious in relation to power issues.

The fuel filter was changed in the last 12 months during a service.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
These faults can be the cause to your intermittent power issues.
Get them fixed and see how it is.

P023B - Intercooler coolant pump control circuit low
P16BF - Heater Support Pump - Short to GND

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise