Insurance Claim question

bclark1979

Feb 6, 2004
Visit site
I need to make a claim on my Insurance (second time in a year :( ) and I would like some quick advice if I may?

I am going to claim for a larhge dent on the rear passenger side, cause by me and a wall, but I also have a deep scratch on the rear drivers side door that I have beenmeaning to get fixed. Would I be able to claim for this as well? The scrathch happened almost 12 months ago and it isn't totally massive but I have been quoted £100 to get it done by one of these Scuffs places. I have a feeling that the Insurance company wouldn't let me claim for this as well. Am I right?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
they happened in the same incident didn't they anyway... lol

But since you're paying the excess and the car is damaged it shouldn't be an issue.

bclark1979

Feb 6, 2004
Visit site
Yeah I wondered if I could just say that they happened in the same incident but I didn't know whether they may be able to tell or not. I would say that in the whole context of the claim this other scratch would probably be nothing to fix, but if I may invalidate the whole claim I wanted to be careful.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
just say both the door & panel are damaged. the assessor will look at it anyway, and it's no skin off his nose really

PLATINUM LCR

I ought to know.....

I work within insurance claims and the company that I work for insures around 1 out of every 3 cars on the road in the UK..... you may well be insured by the company that I work for so dont tell me who you are insured by ;)

If the motor engineer who inspects your car has reason to beleive that the two areas of damage are not consistant to one incident then he will not autherise the full repair... however, this does not mean that you wont get it done ! !

If you were to tell the insurance company that the damage was caused at the same time it would be up to them to prove that it didnt. [B)] (P.S this would be illegal) :think:

If the two areas of damage are hugely different then it is likely that the insurer will be able to prove this. :cry:

If your insurance company refuse to deal with both areas of damage as one claim then I would advise you to threaten to contact the Finacial Ombudsman Service (FOS) for them to look into your complaint (this will costs your insurance company about £400). Your insurer should then make a business decission to pay for the £100 repair rather than paying £400 to the FOS for your complaint to be investigated. :bleh:

I hope this helps.

PS I do not in anyway encourage attempts to defraud insuance companies in any way !! :whistle:

bclark1979 said:
I need to make a claim on my Insurance (second time in a year :( ) and I would like some quick advice if I may?

I am going to claim for a larhge dent on the rear passenger side, cause by me and a wall, but I also have a deep scratch on the rear drivers side door that I have beenmeaning to get fixed. Would I be able to claim for this as well? The scrathch happened almost 12 months ago and it isn't totally massive but I have been quoted £100 to get it done by one of these Scuffs places. I have a feeling that the Insurance company wouldn't let me claim for this as well. Am I right?

bclark1979

Feb 6, 2004
Visit site
Thanks for your replies. I think that I will just claim for the latest incident. I am a buit of a wuss and would probably panic about trying it on with something else. Everyone has told me that i should claim for both but for the sake of £100 I don't want to run the risk.

Copra

Used To Be "mk4polo"
Feb 7, 2003
Hampshire
Visit site
when it goes in, speak to the bodyshop who are doing it and see if you can "loose" at least part of the cost of the scratch in the claim, and you just a bit on top. best of both that way.

Wheely

Nov 19, 2003
The Sou' West
Visit site
PLATINUM LCR said:
I work within insurance claims and the company that I work for insures around 1 out of every 3 cars on the road in the UK..... you may well be insured by the company that I work for so dont tell me who you are insured by ;)

If the motor engineer who inspects your car has reason to beleive that the two areas of damage are not consistant to one incident then he will not autherise the full repair... however, this does not mean that you wont get it done ! !

If you were to tell the insurance company that the damage was caused at the same time it would be up to them to prove that it didnt. [B)] (P.S this would be illegal) :think:

If the two areas of damage are hugely different then it is likely that the insurer will be able to prove this. :cry:

If your insurance company refuse to deal with both areas of damage as one claim then I would advise you to threaten to contact the Finacial Ombudsman Service (FOS) for them to look into your complaint (this will costs your insurance company about £400). Your insurer should then make a business decission to pay for the £100 repair rather than paying £400 to the FOS for your complaint to be investigated. :bleh:

I hope this helps.

PS I do not in anyway encourage attempts to defraud insuance companies in any way !! :whistle:

:lol: :lol: Anyone watched The Incredibles ????

This is exactly what Mr Incredible does after he's taken off the super-hero lifestyle. Keeps feeling sorry for clients making insurance claims, so tells them the legal shortcuts to validate their claims.

Cheers Mr Incredible !!!!!!!!!!! :D

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise