im going to give an ibiza cupra a 2nd try

bonelorry

well im fairly new to the forum and last weekend i went to view and test drive a mk3 ibiza cupra, now admitadly the one i looked at wasnt a great example but it was the test drive that put me off performance wise mainly.

now it turns out the cupra i drove has a jabbasport custom remap and has got printouts for 208bhp, when i went in the car i was extremly disapointed and put off buying one.

but...

i went in a mk4 golf 1.8t at work earlier this week which was a standard 150bhp model and....

it was as quick as if not quicker than the ibiza cupra???? given this fact i now know the one i test drove MUST have had a fault of somesort either maf related or a boost leak etc

on this note im going out in a friends standard leon cupra 180bhp tonight and if im happy with it (which im sure i will be) im going to continue looking for an ibiza cupra :funk:

i loved everything else about the ibiza i went in apart from condition of the bodywork and the performance so if i view another one thats much tidier and drive it and its fine im pretty much sold on the idea of getting one.

Last edited by a moderator:

GregP

Ibiza Cupra R JBS05
Aug 19, 2007
Essex
JBS autodesigns is in Sheffield will sort your Cupra out when you get it. Give Mike a call, they will get it running sweet.

Last edited:

Olly20VT

Jun 8, 2004
Stroud Glos ,England
If you are thinking about getting a SEAT or VW it's worth getting someone with VAG-COM to come along with you and they can plug it in to there laptop and check the car over.
My friend borrowed mine when looking at golfs and it payed off.

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
Ive been in my mates 150bhp golf, theres no way on this earth is it was as quick as my stg1 ibiza.

Just hang in there for a good`un. I wanted one in top notch conditionand low milage so waited about 2 months until the seller was ready to sell. It came from this site from a enthusiast so i could be pretty assured it had been looked after and i wasnt wrong. Over a year of happy motoring now with no problems (touches wood) I think theres a few nice ones in the for sale section now.

Good luck.

bonelorry

right then everyone as i suspected the ibiza cupra i went in must have had a fault of some type!

i went in my friends leoc cupra last night (180bhp) and it was much quicker than the ibiza i went in, infact i was impressed by the leon and just how driveable the car was, loads of bottom end torque and it pulled cleanly all the way around the revs (like it should)

the ibiza i went in was very flat and seemed to lack bottom end torque then by 5000rpm it went flat :confused:

anyway im glad im back on the right track and i can continue looking for an ibiza cupra :)

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
A stg1 map will start to die off around the 5k as the ickle k03 just runs out of puff a k03s holds on abit longer but isnt great. If you couldnt feel low end torque in the one you test drove there must have been somthing wrong, approx 240lb/ft in a ibiza, it certinatly doesnt feel flat. If you end up buying one and even with a stg1 map you`ll be waving bye bye to your mates leon 20vt;)

Good luck with the search.

bonelorry

A stg1 map will start to die off around the 5k as the ickle k03 just runs out of puff a k03s holds on abit longer but isnt great. If you couldnt feel low end torque in the one you test drove there must have been somthing wrong, approx 240lb/ft in a ibiza, it certinatly doesnt feel flat. If you end up buying one and even with a stg1 map you`ll be waving bye bye to your mates leon 20vt;)

Good luck with the search.

thats just it mate, it did die off at 5000rpm but it wasnt pulling very well below that either, my mates leon cupra was much better.

like you say the one i test drove must have been ropey, there is no wonder i was dissapointed last week and put off buying one :redface:

skinnyman9000

Ive been a passenger in two ibiza's so far. One was my mates standard one, and i wasn't impressed at all with the performance, felt no faster than my old 16v golf. However, one of the lads at work is running a 196bhp model after a jabbasport remap, and that was impressive!

I think its a case of testing a few

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members