Ibiza 1.4 TSI Misfiring issue.

Sep 6, 2024
Southampton
Hello I'm new to the forum and just wanted to ask if anyone has had the same issue. And has a fix for it.

My 1.4 TSI seat ibiza sport coupe is having an issue with a misfire in 2 of the cylinders. It happens more when I'm sat in traffic and the car is moving slow, but also when I'm putting my foot down to give the engine power it also happens on occasion. And it has also gone into limp mode and the EPC light has come on.

I've had coils and spark plugs changed however I think the mechanics used cheap and cheerful bosche ones after looking at them. would it be more beneficial to upgrade the spark plugs? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

vtxracer

Jul 25, 2009
Greece
How many miles ?
Usually thats an sign of a cracked piston which was common on CAV engines.

Another cause could be severe carbon buildup.

You should also check your timing chain. In a high mileage car it should be replaced as a precaution. Be advised that only the original vw kit will do the job. Febi/swag which are commonly found on the market have a high failure rate.

The reccomended spark plugs for this engine are Ngk sizfr6b8eg.
The reccomended coils vary. Beru zse 030 seems to work the best as a stock replacement. Ngk are also good.

What are the fault codes for ?
A faulty intake regulating flap may also cause similar issue and check engine/epc light.
Its the flap that regulates the transition between the compressor and the turbo.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2024
Southampton
How many miles ?
Usually thats an sign of a cracked piston which was common on CAV engines.

Another cause could be severe carbon buildup.

You should also check your timing chain. In a high mileage car it should be replaced as a precaution. Be advised that only the original vw kit will do the job. Febi/swag which are commonly found on the market have a high failure rate.

The reccomended spark plugs for this engine are Ngk sizfr6b8eg.
The reccomended coils vary. Beru zse 030 seems to work the best as a stock replacement. Ngk are also good.

What are the fault codes for ?
A faulty intake regulating flap may also cause similar issue and check engine/epc light.
Its the flap that regulates the transition between the compressor and the turbo.
First of all thank you for getting back to me its done 48000 miles mate also thank you for the other bits of advice.

I'll get my mechanic to look it all over and get back to the thread, if there's anything else I should know please tell me as I'm new to this and would ideally like to upgrade as many of the parts as I can to keep the car running smooth for as long as possible.

Reactions: vtxracer

vtxracer

Jul 25, 2009
Greece
The first step is to check the fault codes on the ECU.
Frequent oil changes and a good quality oil is key for the health of the engine.
Also, pay attention on fuel quality. 98 ron is recommended for full power.
Has the fuel filter ever been replaced ?

The dsg also needs maintenance (despite the "lifetime" fluids used)

Do you have the newer revised 1.4 engine ?
The newer engine code is CTHE, the older one is CAVE.