How to keep motor on when the driver gets out??

slamka33

Dec 6, 2014
Is there a way how to keep motor running when the driver is getting out for a while??
My motor is each time switching automatically off when the driver gets out, due to "safety" (after some time of being driver out).
For me, higher priority in hot summer is to keep the motor running in idle, but with AC on, when the driver gets out for a while - keeping family in a car while buying "a bread", stepping out for 5min and then continue in journey. Of course, I put in P with hand brake or N with hand brake.

How to do that? Is there any trick how to keep motor on or no chance??
Thanks!

tomek_olo

Cupra Leon ST VZ 2.0 245 DNPA DQ381
Jan 28, 2022
The "trick" is you turn off Start-Stop first. And always put your car in P while you're out.

Unless you have a PHEV. There it might be different, I dunno

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
Nope, unless you climb over your family and out another door.

The safety feature is due to the number of people killed by their own car, or who's car killed a random stranger, because they forget to set the brake or transmission in park before they walked away.

Reactions: Seriously?

slamka33

Dec 6, 2014
This is what I observed as well, it switches off regardless of anything I do, I try, any setting..
I believe there is a weight switch in the driver seat, like in others for the seat belt warning.

So let's kill, gril family without AC... Really perfect safety feature..
And in the winter, the same issue - let's family freezing cold instead of keeping heating on.
OMG.

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Nope, unless you climb over your family and out another door.

The safety feature is due to the number of people killed by their own car, or who's car killed a random stranger, because they forget to set the brake or transmission in park before they walked away.
I get that it's a safety feature, but maybe the BMW/MB system is more practical where if you open the driver's door it drops the transmission into park.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
I always have the start/stop off and if I put it in N or Park ( as tomek-olo said above) I can jump out to open gate or whatever, and the motor stays on.
I do this all the time no bother.

slamka33

Dec 6, 2014
I always have the start/stop off and if I put it in N or Park ( as tomek-olo said above) I can jump out to open gate or whatever, and the motor stays on.
I do this all the time no bother.
To open and close the boot or gate it's fine, it stays on.
But after some time it shuts off. You cannot leave motor on for 5min, 10min or so.
And when you come back, the cluster says you - Motor has been shut off for safety reasons. Start it manually again.
And you have to press brake pedal and press the start button, like starting usually....

Mar 22, 2023
In the PHEV there's no way it won't turn off..and it's calibrated just right on the car-garage distance: I get out of the car, open the garage, get back in the car, and a second before I sit down the car turns off. Always.

slamka33

Dec 6, 2014
You have to be one second faster Jueppinghur :p:D:D

But I have feeling that swithing off start/stop system helps, seems that motor stays on.
I never swithed this off before as it makes no sense to switch it off in eTSI - during the drive motor shuts off regardless start/stop settings, as it's eTSI. So you are driving in idle with motor off. But when you stop at the red signal, if start/stop is off, motor will ignite back on. With S/S on, motor keeps off until you hit gas pedal again. So really makes no sense in eTSI if motor is shutting off while driving.
This start/stop switch is really funny for eTSI.
I would expect that S/S off means motor will never switch off, even while driving.
But no, it changes motor behaviour only in stop. So for that reason I never switched off S/S before...

And seems that it helps!
Will observe further and let you know.

Richiepoos

Oct 14, 2022
No way of stopping it in the PHEV - had the family screaming at me when I was getting something out the boot as they were left in the car baking for a whole 30 seconds!!

Reactions: Jueppinghur
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.