• Welcome to our new sponsor Lecatona, a brand dedicated to enhancing performance for VAG group sports cars, including SEAT, Audi, Volkswagen and Škoda. Specializing in High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) upgrades.

Help! Do I need to change my pads/discs?!

DogSmoke

Apr 18, 2007
Hi folks, this probably will sound slightly numpty.

My brakes make a nasty kind of grinding noise now when I apply them. Notmally I would think the discs and pads want changing but should there not be a warning light? The car is a 51 plate Cupra.......

I was hoping I could hang on til my next pay day in 2 weeks but I daren't now to be honest.

If, as I suspect, I should be changing the brakes, will it be a problem if I only change the pads now and change the discs in a couple of weeks? I know the pads will have to be rebedded in but it shouldn't be a big problem should it?

Also anything I should know about, like do the pistons need winding back in with a special tool or anything or can I just g-clamp them?

Tried to check the guide but it isn't there anymore.

Cheers folks :)

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
If you have a grinding noise this could be the metal of the pads hitting the disc therefore you will need both or buy pads now to see you through then pads and discs when you get paid
Which would be a little stupid but would get you out of a hole

DogSmoke

Apr 18, 2007
Aye, a bit daft but much better than how it is currently. I drive to work on the motorway every day and really don't like the idea of having dodgy brakes!

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
go onto brakesint.com and search the price of discs and pads for the car

i think you'll be pleasantly surprised how cheap standard parts are and if you can fit them yourself or amongst friends you'll be laughing

DogSmoke

Apr 18, 2007
Cheers for the info guys.

Halfrauds are crap and have no front discs in and will take 4 days to get them!

Just wondering if I would be better changing the front discs and pads and just leaving the rear brakes for the next two weeks. WOuld that be better than just changing the pads??

Anyone know if the prices on the GSF site are per discs or per pair?

Also, what size are the front and rear discs, and will I have trouble getting the rear discs off due to the handbrake? Had this on my old E36 beemer and nearly buggered it up as it was the first time I'd done rears. Don't wanna do anything wrong with the rears ont he Leon....

Last edited:

NickT

Mar 29, 2004
LB, Beds
Cheers for the info guys.

Halfrauds are crap and have no front discs in and will take 4 days to get them!

Just wondering if I would be better changing the front discs and pads and just leaving the rear brakes for the next two weeks. WOuld that be better than just changing the pads??

Anyone know if the prices on the GSF site are per discs or per pair?

IMO that would be a good idea, the rears don't work nearly as hard as the fronts so you could live with them being a bit below par, at least for a couple of weeks.

GSF prices are per disc I believe.

As for compressing the pistons, you can get away with a g-clamp for the fronts, I used one of these, http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=57645&cm_re=SEARCHPROMO-_-QUICK but a wind back tool is necessary for the rears.

DogSmoke

Apr 18, 2007
Aye then I will do that. I added some questions to my post that you quoted before I altered...

Are the discs 312mm?

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Aye go for that, front do about 80% of the work anyway
Would advise on spending a bit of time looking into a decent set of pads and discs rather than just buying any old set
From Bill (badger 5) you'll get a set of EBC Ultimax front discs for £188 inc vat
and Ferredo DS2500 pads for £94 inc vat
This is thought to be the best set up available so far
The discs look good too

Cheers Romeoisgraham, I'm sitting offshore bored just trying to help the Seat community by passing on the info;)

EDIT just noticed that yours is a cupra not a cupra R
The prices I gave you are for a cupra R so yours would be cheaper:)

Last edited:

DogSmoke

Apr 18, 2007
Well I am going to just buy OEM parts for the time being, as they have done fairly well for me up to press.

I still need someone to tell me what size the discs should be though, lol.

NickT

Mar 29, 2004
LB, Beds
Rears are 232mm x 9mm solid.

I've only just done my fronts recently, not looked at my rears yet, all I do know is you need a wind back tool which turns the piston as it compresses it, I think the reason the rear pistons are like this is to do with the handbrake machanism.

DogSmoke

Apr 18, 2007
Cheers. I found on my E36 Coupe (325) when I tried to do the rears that I just could not get the rear discs off. I ended up seriously forcing them and doing some damage. Not good! I wouldn't want to do that on my Leon. Is there a set way of removing rear discs? Do you leave the handbrake off or something?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise