Hello & greetings from Dublin

Jul 12, 2024
Hello, my name is Graham, and I live in Dublin I hope you are all keeping well. I am planning to pick up a new Cupra Leon (Candy White) 150hp 1.5L (manual) TSI on Wednesday next week. I have been driving a SEAT Arona for the past 3 years and it was really nice but I really loved the look of the Leon with the Cupra configuration, plus I need a manual transmission and some additional space so it was time for a change. The new car comes with normal silver/black Cupra alloys however I got the garage to diamond-cut them and dye the silver area copper, don't hate me ;-) A fair bit cheaper than buying the copper effect alloys and it is a permanent finish which I checked out on an Atteca, and the finish and overall look was first rate. I think it will look good contrasting with the Candy White. When it's all done I will post some photos and you can judge for yourselves. I hope to learn a lot from the members of this forum, so thanks for letting me join and I look forward to reading your posts.

Reactions: Alan Kyp

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Hello, my name is Graham, and I live in Dublin I hope you are all keeping well. I am planning to pick up a new Cupra Leon (Candy White) 150hp 1.5L (manual) TSI on Wednesday next week. I have been driving a SEAT Arona for the past 3 years and it was really nice but I really loved the look of the Leon with the Cupra configuration, plus I need a manual transmission and some additional space so it was time for a change. The new car comes with normal silver/black Cupra alloys however I got the garage to diamond-cut them and dye the silver area copper, don't hate me ;-) A fair bit cheaper than buying the copper effect alloys and it is a permanent finish which I checked out on an Atteca, and the finish and overall look was first rate. I think it will look good contrasting with the Candy White. When it's all done I will post some photos and you can judge for yourselves. I hope to learn a lot from the members of this forum, so thanks for letting me join and I look forward to reading your posts.
Welcome to SCN, hope the new Leon fits the bill, did not know you could still get a manual thought they were all autos now.

Jul 12, 2024
Welcome to SCN, hope the new Leon fits the bill, did not know you could still get a manual thought they were all autos now.
Thanks Seastormer, in Ireland there's nearly always a manual transmission offered by VAG, even the VW California was offered in a manual which really helped make it more affordable. I think it is basically a cost / tax proposition because manufacturers can advertise a lower entry cost to each model and there is also better C0 emission class so the road tax and VRT is lowered significantly helping make ownership more affordable. Cars are so much more expressive here so every little bit on savings really helps. However I needed the manual transmission as Im teaching my kids to drive, I have nothing against a DSG auto box as I have one in my Cali, but I do really appreciate a manual shift for the feel of the car and it tends to help too with reduced running costs with fuel which is nice. I hope the Leon does fit the bill, I tested the Cupra Formentor and just did not like it at all, but when I saw the Leon it just seemed to be perfect for my needs. I know there's a newer model for sale next year but from what I have seen of it I think I prefer this model, but I will have to wait & see ;-)

Jul 12, 2024
Just wanted to correct my earlier post, I just checked the Cupra website and the economy for the 2.0TDI 150hp DSG is better than 1.5TSI 150hp with a Manual transmission, but the models using a manual gear box off €3,500 savings for the 1.5TSI 150hp and €3,200 if selecting the Sports tourer.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Thanks Seastormer, in Ireland there's nearly always a manual transmission offered by VAG, even the VW California was offered in a manual which really helped make it more affordable. I think it is basically a cost / tax proposition because manufacturers can advertise a lower entry cost to each model and there is also better C0 emission class so the road tax and VRT is lowered significantly helping make ownership more affordable. Cars are so much more expressive here so every little bit on savings really helps. However I needed the manual transmission as Im teaching my kids to drive, I have nothing against a DSG auto box as I have one in my Cali, but I do really appreciate a manual shift for the feel of the car and it tends to help too with reduced running costs with fuel which is nice. I hope the Leon does fit the bill, I tested the Cupra Formentor and just did not like it at all, but when I saw the Leon it just seemed to be perfect for my needs. I know there's a newer model for sale next year but from what I have seen of it I think I prefer this model, but I will have to wait & see ;-)
Thanks for that, did not know that Ireland was so different.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.