Has my slave or master cylinder gone?

Adman77

Audre Est Facre
Feb 13, 2012
Hertfordshire
I'm pretty certain one of them has gone.

I've just had a new helix clutch and smf flywheel fitted. Was driving in traffic yesterday, went to move forward in 1st and the clutch pedal stuck to the floor. I managed to bring it back up with my toe, went to press it again and no clutch feel what so ever, straight down to the floor again.

Some fluid has leaked underneath but brake reservoir is still above minimum.

This is the slave or master cylinder right? How do I know which one?

Last edited:
May 25, 2008
S.Wales
www.seatcupra.net
I'm pretty certain one of them has gone.

I've just had a new helix clutch and smf flywheel fitted. Was driving in traffic yesterday, went to move forward in 1st and the clutch pedal stuck to the floor. I managed to bring it back up with my toe, went to press it again and no clutch feel what so ever, straight down to the floor again.

Some fluid has leaked underneath but brake reservoir is still above minimum.

This is the slave or master cylinder right? How do I know which one?

Master by the sounds of it...

Feb 14, 2012
Slough
The clutch is hydraulic so it could be air in the system. If the Clutch pedal pedal is completely unusable then there is either not enough fluid in the system or the cylinder is leaking.

Dopedpanda

"Old" Hardcore Ford Fan
Jun 15, 2013
Denmark
How are the brakes? If the brakes are ok, it's the slave cylinder

Even though if its the master cylinder, the brakes will still be fine, some situation actually, the clutch operation is "taking" fluid from a little over the middle of the reservoir...

Wouldn´t really be a smart design if the clutch went and you couldn´t brake either would it :p

mccracd

Sep 3, 2011
Belfast, n.ireland
Do you have a visible leak? If the car has a CSC (concentric slave cylinder) then any leaks should be contained in the bell housing and you would possibly have some clutch slippage as well.

Adman77

Audre Est Facre
Feb 13, 2012
Hertfordshire
Yeah can be seen on the bottom. Couldn't see exactly where it was coming from as I didn't have chance to jack it up for the recovery man got here

There was no slippage as it was brand new yesterday. Pedal didn't even show any sticking either, just seem to go from fine to shot

Adman77

Audre Est Facre
Feb 13, 2012
Hertfordshire
Turns out its not either cylinder. Some kind of reservoir that is above that. Don't know what it's called.

Must have been a week part of the system that has been highlighted by the new clutch.

I'm not worried anymore as its in safe hands now :D

Jul 24, 2024
Turns out its not either cylinder. Some kind of reservoir that is above that. Don't know what it's called.

Must have been a week part of the system that has been highlighted by the new clutch.

I'm not worried anymore as its in safe hands now :D

Been a while since this post was last active, but how did this eventually get resolved. Going through the exact same problems now, 1.6 62 plate facelift.

Was all fine and working, then all of a sudden a failed clutch.

Replaced the slave and still have no clutch whatsoever after bleeding. Spotted a leak underneath the car, can’t really see where it’s coming from but the pool of brake fluid looks like it’s below where the master is situated.

If anyone has any ideas shout up please. Think I’m going to replace the master cylinder next and hope it’s that, just after reading the previous posts, it might not need doing.

Thanks

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise