Has anyone got the USB connection on new LEON

MUFFIN

ready 2 return ;o)
Dec 3, 2006
North of Penzance
Just wondered if anyone has the USB option as opposed to the IPOD connection. What is the difference between the two and would this also mean that the aux in jack would be replaced as with the IPOD socket?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
the cupra I drove had said USB port... it's a cubby under the drivers seat with a USB port in it.

I assume you take your memory stick of music & plug it in

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
To be honest, I didn't think to look... I was more interested in the small cubby hole.

I'll have a trawl through the press pack in a bit

Maverick88

Oct 19, 2006
Devon
Just read the brochure (issue 11/06) & it states: USB connection, in lieu of AUX in & not available with iPod connection.
Hope this helps ?

Black Magic FR TFSI on order (with the dealer now)
Bi - xenons
18" alloys
Sunroof
Bluetooth
Winter pack
Convenience pack
USB connection

CupraDaft

Jun 8, 2002
Scotland
Visit site
I wanted the USB connection but I got the choice of having the car in three weeks with the 18s so decided not to wait however many weeks to get a car with a USB connection.

I will be able to use my MP3 player with the AUX in so that is fine.

But like the iPOD connection, does anyone know if a USB connection can be added after the car has been delivered?

CupraDaft

Jun 8, 2002
Scotland
Visit site
No. The aux in is the standard plug in port i.e. this is what the standard spec is and is located between the drivers seat and passenger seat. It won't charge any media player up and doesn't give much use with the steering wheel controls. I think you can control the sound and that is about it.

But you can specify an option. If you want an iPOD connection, the aux in is removed and and the connection then goes under the drivers seat into a special wee cubby hole that gives you a proper iPOD connection port so you just plug your iPOD in and it charges it up, gives better use with the steering wheel controls.

The USB connection option is the same as the iPOD connection in terms of use, but of coures is meant for things that have a USB port. I have a Sony player that use a USB port.

Hope that helps...and hope I have got that right!

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
the connection then goes under the drivers seat into a special wee cubby hole

ONLY if it is a factory fit option. Otherwise you will get a dealer fit connection which is just a cable that is either in
a) glovebox
b) infront of gearstick
c) other people with dealer fit connections please add your locations ;)

coxxic

Sep 29, 2006
CZ
www.absolutsystem.com
Usb

hi, this is my first post here

I have USB connection in my FR TFSI (factory fitted option), its located under codriver seat, but guess, in UK it may be located under driver seat.

- with USB connection you lose AuxIn
- USB connection replace cd changer "menu" (but radio still shows CDC)
- support plug and play (just connect yours usb stick)

but there are some restrictions and bugs

Restr. :
-you can create only six folders on usb stick (like 6 cds in cd changer)
- it doesnt show id3 info or track and folders names
(folder = DISC, mp3 file = TRACK)
- if you turn off ignition and radio is still on USB chanel (CDC), you are not able to change folder nextime, and radio starts with AM chanel !!!
(probably software bug). You have to reconnect usb stick for working correctly.

USB connection is not bad, but there are things to improve

any quest. ?

Last edited:

r30lac

Jan 12, 2007
West Yorkshire
so if you have the usb connection and then connect the ipod via usb it would charge but work in the same manner as a usb stick, or would you be able browse the playlists?

coxxic

Sep 29, 2006
CZ
www.absolutsystem.com
if u have "usb" port, you are not able to connect Ipod. I have tried connect ipod, seems to fit in port, but not working and radio shows some warning. So if u want connect your ipod, you have to do via "IPOD" port

LordElric

Aug 30, 2006
Chalkida,Greece
I have a usb port factory fitted in my FR TDI.It's fitted bellow codriver's seat and has all characteristics COXXIC has already mentioned.As said you loose aux in port,but i dont think its important,it's usb stick we are talking about!!!

Nocturnity

Why would anyone want a USB connection if it limits you to 6 folders???

I have the standard FR (57) and I use MP3 CD's over everything. I can stick like 10 folders on there - so on 5 CD's that's 50 albums. With 6 CD's it's 10 times what a USB connection offers and you don't have to pay any extra.

Yeah you have to change CD to find another album or whatever, but that's better than changing memory stick right?

BanziBarn

FR TDI & Type-R
Jun 5, 2003
Greater London
Visit site
Agreed, from reading this it seems like the USB is of very little use. You can get more than 6 albums on an mp3CD. I guess the only advantage of USB is that you could fill the 6 folders with more than one album's worth of music, but with no ID tags that would make them hard to find.

My solution is to have my n95 sitting in a holder/charger which comes directly out of the cig lighter, and the to use a retractable 3.5mm jack to jack to connect it the few CMs to the Aux input. That way I have easy access to control the music, plus I can see ID tags on the phones screen and have 8gb of music to play with.

eltawater

Full and wholesome member
May 1, 2008
I have the USB port under my seat in my 58 leon.

You CAN have more than 6 folders in total on a USB stick, you just can't have more than 6 top level folders, as these map to the 6 buttons on the radio / CD changer.

It's perfectly possible to have subfolders instead.

I have the following arrangement:

Folder 1: 1_playlist (misc songs)

Folder 2: Classic->Vivaldi
Folder 2: Classic-> 2001: ASO
Folder 2: Classic-> Rob Dougan

Folder 3: Dance->Misc songs
Folder 3: Dance->Chicane
Folder 3: Dance->Chicane->Far from the maddening crowds
Folder 3: Dance->Behind the sun

etc etc

Works pretty well on my 8GB flash drive, no need to unplug the drive :)

As has been pointed out, the only difficulties are not getting any track names/album names being displayed, and the fact that disc random isn't really random (it seems to shuffle it once, then starts at the front of that order everytime you put it back into random or turn the ignition off).

Nocturnity

Hmmm - Well I guess that makes it a bit better. I dunno though - I'm not that convinced anymore.