green cotton or pipercross filter

deano82

Hi,

I'm gonna replace the paper panel filter on my leon cupra tdi, but not sure what with.

Either green cotton or pipercross, anyone know which is best for my car ?

cheers

mark21

sorry this isnt any advice but is it a worth while mod and how much dus this cost? cheers.

volvic

It's just water
Jun 28, 2008
House of Batiatus
i remember reading a post by a guy who has a transporter van running excess of 300bhp? (on this forum) he uses standard paper filter from dealers after testing various different panel filters.

someone will correct me if im wrong ;)

benhampshire

Jun 29, 2008
Barnoldswick
After reading all the threads i went with green cotton panel filter. Apparently less oil in them, help prevent damaging the MAF.

Also i went with a custom code phase1 and they recommended getting a panel filter, guy who did mine said Green was always a popular choice.

I did the filter change in about 5mins, think it was about £35 -38, week before my remap. Didn't give me loads of extra power but it was certainly smoother and rev'd a little bit easier.

Plus unless you go with an enclosed induction kit you don't get as much heat soak as with cone filters (open) but you don't get as much on an induction note, some but not as much.

Lots of people have a look at smoothing and drilling their air box, put a few extra in to get a bit more of a note but each to their own.

Some it up have had a green cotton for 12 months now, no issues and would recommend moving away from paper filter

Last edited:

flappy

Ferociously Rapid
Mar 28, 2007
Looking at some of the books written by David Vizard has show slower clog rates from cotton gauze filters over foam, also some better filtration of specified sized particles, this may help slightly over the life of the engine and its bore/ valve guide wear rates. Most won't own the vehicle long enough to notice any difference though.

MadFaz

New(ish)bee
Sep 28, 2008
Bradford
i read somewhere you have to re-oil these filters? does anyone know how often you have to do this and is it an easy job?

benhampshire

Jun 29, 2008
Barnoldswick
every 100,000km think they are good for but i'd say every 12 -18 months.

Very simple to do yuo buy a little kit for a £12 and clean and re-oil the filter, not too much mind you!:p

mark21

been on greens website... £47 for a standard fillter!! thats a bit steep.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
had both and it terms of performance there isnt much difference. What I will say its the pipercross doesnt get a 'clogged' up as the green panel filter did...

flappy

Ferociously Rapid
Mar 28, 2007
Clogged or just dirty? As I would have thought a clogged filter would show a difference in flow rate and therefore performace.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Clogged or just dirty? As I would have thought a clogged filter would show a difference in flow rate and therefore performace.
Both I would say. Both are different designs and the green design seems to clog up easier. No idea on flow - I certainly did not notice any difference.

mymorph

Feb 21, 2005
wolves
i opted for a 'dry' pipercross as less servicing is apparently needed and being 'dry' shouldnt affect the MAF. however the MAF damage due to oil is still possibly more of a mith. not noticed any performance increase or improved mpg yet but does sound a little deeper.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.