giving up on the ibiza

Cal91

1.4 Powerrr
I always hear a lot about the reliability of the 1.2 engine. IMO it doesn't seem worth it!
1.2, less power and less MPG than a 1.4 :confused:
Something is wrong there.

I am on my second 1.4 (had both the 75bhp and now the 100bhp engines) and both seem very nice engines. But they are not the most economical.
So why go for the 1.2? I can't imagine insurance is that much different.
So get a 1.4 :)

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
I had mine for three years and never had a problem and I drove that thing to the redline EVERYWHERE.
However I was probably just very lucky because the horror stories I see on here are something else!

st10587

i only brake for cake!!!!
Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
I always hear a lot about the reliability of the 1.2 engine. IMO it doesn't seem worth it!

I am on my second 1.4 (had both the 75bhp and now the 100bhp engines) and both seem very nice engines. But they are not the most economical.

why get a 1.4 when the pd100 diesel is out there?? remap youl hit 130-140bhp and have cheaper running cost and are not much more on insurance;)

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
why get a 1.4 when the pd100 diesel is out there?? remap youl hit 130-140bhp and have cheaper running cost and are not much more on insurance;)

Former Sportrider PD100 driver and I can say with confidence.
Best car I've ever owned.
Stock dyno'd at 120bhp and remapped to 150bhp with 260ftlb of torque!

st10587

i only brake for cake!!!!
Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
Former Sportrider PD100 driver and I can say with confidence.
Best car I've ever owned.
Stock dyno'd at 120bhp and remapped to 150bhp with 260ftlb of torque!

nice! i only had the pd100 and 1.4 as loan cars. the pd100 was much better to drive then the 1.4 petrol imo

Rory101

Oct 11, 2005

The 1.4 16V VAG engine has its issues - burnt exhaust valves are common at low mileages as is excess bore wear at 40K.

Cal91

1.4 Powerrr
I love my petrol's. I just don't know if I can bring myself to getting a diesel. I don't know about that noise. :( I see the power, cheaper insurance and MPG gains yet I still think a petrol engine is the best for a good sporty car. Just for the thrill factor.

I love thrashing the arse out of a petrol engine, right up to the red line, hearing it scream it's heart out. When diesels don't have the same 'zing'.

Aimez

I love my petrol's. I just don't know if I can bring myself to getting a diesel. I don't know about that noise. :( I see the power, cheaper insurance and MPG gains yet I still think a petrol engine is the best for a good sporty car. Just for the thrill factor.

I love thrashing the arse out of a petrol engine, right up to the red line, hearing it scream it's heart out. When diesels don't have the same 'zing'.

I doubt a 1.2 screams it heart out, no offence, have you ever actually driven a diesel? I went from a 1.2 to my FR was amazed and never looked back the torque is addictive!

lawrieIbizaMk4

Team Boc!
Aug 31, 2009
Milngavie, Glasgow
www.bebo.com
What's up lately? You going along on Sunday to the meet?

.G.

yeah goin along 2moro nite,

revs are sitting waaaay up, costing me about 15 buck on petrol a day, i can actually sit on the motorway and watch the dial go down lol

its goin in2 the stealers on the 4th and if it packs in again after that i'm gettin a 1.9 tdi :)

just dont really get how an 08 reg car thats only done 17000 miles is having so many problems y'know?

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire

Yes you have a good point and before i got my ibiza i would have agreed.
I love giving my MR2 some and taking it to the 7700 rpm red line :D and yes it growls and screams and sounds great. :funk:

However in day to day normal driving such as the slog home from work i would not swap it for the tdi FR.

Ok it does sound like a tractor on tickover but once wound up :funk:boy has it got a mid range punch which makes overtaking effortless.

I am a diesel convert now you really need to drive a modern sports diesel to find out :D

Aimez

1.2?
I have a 1.4 100bhp.
I have never driven a high powered diesel, just some of the lower powered 1.4 Fiesta's and Punto's.

Ah sorry dude was thinking about the OP when typing that coming from a 1.2 he will notice a HUGE difference.

What you mean by lower powered, I drove a 1.7 Astra estate van that was quick then I got my FR and the Astra seemed slow!

Nov 6, 2008
Kettering
i came from a 1.4 sport 100 to the FR TDi and the difference is significant and that was before i mapped her.

The 100 needed to be thrashed, it was a great little run around/city car and really nippy when floored from the lights, really sad to see her go to be fair, but the mid range punch that aimez and krussel have stated is stunning you leave things chewing on tractor fumes, over taking is never a problem i assure you :D