Give Me Some Reasons Why..........

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
I shouldnt get a RX-7.

Im a little unsure what i want to do im getting my K03s put on next week but i know im going to want more power without spending ALOAD of money on IHI or the likes which im not preperd to do anyway. so ive been looking at RX-7`s and if i payed for one with the money i would get for my cupra looking at whats around i could get a fairly decent one with quite alot of power. So just wondering if anybody knows much about them? and what the pros and cons are. The fact that it is a older car does put me off a little.

Look forward to your comments :)

David.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I don't know much, apart from they enjoy engine rebuilds & mpg that makes your eyes weep

MarkJ

Ibiza GTi
Mar 26, 2007
Chesterfield
My mate just bought an rx8, not sure how they compare to the rx7. Drinks some serious fuel and a they use a shed load of oil apparently. Been in it and didn't seem that quick, pretty boring really.

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
petrol doesnt bother me that much as i dont go far would only use it a couple of evenings a week and at the weekends. I do less that 6k a year. The ones i have been looking at, quite a few had had rebuilds. If i decided to look at one it would be one with a a rebuild.

David.

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
A standard rx7 is 280bhp and tuned they can go past 400bhp cant be that boring :D, I dont know much about the rx8 but i dont think there in the same league. rx8 looks boring to me.

David.

MarkJ

Ibiza GTi
Mar 26, 2007
Chesterfield
A standard rx7 is 280bhp and tuned they can go past 400bhp cant be that boring :D, I dont know much about the rx8 but i dont think there in the same league. rx8 looks boring to me.

David.

His is only 230bhp i think. If you got 400bhp i don't think it really matters what your sat in, its gonna be fun :D:D

cupra collins

Mar 27, 2007
engines only last for about 60,000 so im told dont know about you but an engine that needs a re build at that sort of milage sounds like a whole world of hassle to me

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
yeah, that site also sells them just rebuilt

I mean - if you buy at the right price, just factor in the cost for a rebuild anyway.

Ahh right ok i thought you meant that basicly they like rebuilds so be preperd to spend alot of cash.

Point taken, but a cheap car and use the extra cash on a rebuild :)

engines only last for about 60,000 so im told dont know about you but an engine that needs a re build at that sort of milage sounds like a whole world of hassle to me

It certinly does mate. this is the kind of info im trying to find out.

Keep it coming :)

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
yeah, safer to buy one knowing it will need it, then spend your budget on a 'mint' one, and it need an engine the next week

Jun 28, 2001
rx 7 is ok. but motor only lasts 20 ,000 ish miles they suffer alot of problems with wear on the apex seals which causes low or no compression if your looking at the efini then make sure you look at the exhaust emission ie ble smoke from the turbo(twin) as these are 3500 for a standard mazda part. warped inlet manifolds are common and air leaks are even more common as it runs over 8 vac valves.
rx 8 is just the same in some ways they said that they had cured the apex seal problem but they havent,there are alot of recall for this car make sure they have all been done 1 front lower arms 2 fuel tank insulator 3 starter motor upgrade 4 pcm upgrade 5 plug upgrade.
i know all this because i'm a master tech for mazda and seat:)

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
Goble thats the kind of thing i do/dont want to hear. Just thinking the power would be great but looking at these facts the cupra staying at the moment!

David.

Jun 28, 2001
TBH cupra is the better option cheaper to run more tunable at less cost ill last longer without blowing up

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
it certinatly is looking at this, but i want to have somthing as quick as tuned rx7 before i go into property and end up with a 1.0l polo! lol

David.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.