Front crank seal replacement help! Seat Leon Mk3

Jul 28, 2022
My seat leon mk3 was in for a cambelt and water pump and the garage noticed that the front crank seal is leaking and needs replacing. However as it was easier to do it all together so they held off on the belt and pump

They resent the quote and have asked for another 2 hours labour on top of the 4 hours for the belt and pump as well as. Is this reasonable? My understanding is that most of the parts connected to the seal will be removed for the new cambelt?

Also it was said that the sump needs to be removed for this as well, meaning new oil which is frustrating as I have just had it serviced. However having watched some videos on this I’m not sure if it does.

£550 for pump and belt
£950 for pump seal and belt (£174 parts)

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2022
My seat leon mk3 was in for a cambelt and water pump and the garage noticed that the front crank seal is leaking and needs replacing. However as it was easier to do it all together so they held off on the belt and pump

They resent the quote and have asked for another 2 hours labour on top of the 4 hours for the belt and pump as well as. Is this reasonable? My understanding is that most of the parts connected to the seal will be removed for the new cambelt?

Also it was said that the sump needs to be removed for this as well, meaning new oil which is frustrating as I have just had it serviced. However having watched some videos on this I’m not sure if it does.

£550 for pump and belt
£950 for pump seal and belt (£174 parts)
Hi I just had my mk3 in for a service and they said the crank seal is leaking. I actually saw it on their video.

The fix was 200-odd quid including labour and they said the timing belt was due also and wanted 900-odd quid for doing it with genuine parts.

I thought this was massively over priced for the belt and said to do the oil seal but then they tell me they don’t actually have the part or not able to do it there and then for some other reason!
So I said fine book it in for a couple weeks when you can do it.

But I saw the booking email and they seem to be planning to charge me again for a service (£200). Presumably you need to drain the oil to replace the seal so am guessing that’s why. So the job will probably now be nearer £500 due to not being able to do it when they serviced it.

I also just watched a video on YouTube and the dude said you need to have the timing belt off to change the seal anyway!
So I plan to cancel the job and just get the seal done in a few months. Probs get the timing belt done same time.

But to me the cost there for the seal seems a bit high.

Mine was in at the seat dealer where I always go so I assume they know how long this is likely to take.

What mileage are you on? Mine is around 103k.

Jan 27, 2022
IMG_5106.png

that’s the leak there so … does not look excessive.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise