Freetrack - too embarrassing for readers rides?

PHILMEWAGON

Long member
Apr 4, 2013
Boro
hey.

I blame this forum and its users completely for the following :p

I'm what could only be described as 'pants' with cars, so this may slow going hehe

None of the mods im doing are ground breaking but I figured this would be as good a place as any to keep track of progress!

im kind of screwed on 2 things:

1. the Freetrack comes as standard raised 4cm off the ground compared to standard - its also stiffened and has a big back camber so no complaints. The Freetrack is also 200kg heavier than a standard Altea mostly due to the 4x4 gear. Im not sure about lowering this car.

2. Ive just bought 16 inch steels with snow tyres and already have 4 almost new tyres for my 17" Alloys, so with about a grand invested in 16s and 17s im not going to putting bigger wheels on it any time soon.

mods done:
De-badge
Black front grill
Carbon front badge

mods in the pipeline:
new plates
15% tint rear light clusters.
black rear badge
Mufflerectomy
remap
black Alloys
sharkfin aerial
new ICE and speakers

wishlist:
bumpers and shielding wrap

Last edited:

PHILMEWAGON

Long member
Apr 4, 2013
Boro
grill and badge

before:

zogvh2.jpg

and after:

2ns49ib.jpg

not 100% happy with either but im going to leave it on until it annoys me enough to change!

PHILMEWAGON

Long member
Apr 4, 2013
Boro
lol aye.

freetrack is a great car it just doesn't know what it wants to be when it grows up

Last edited:

ritch_b

Jul 27, 2012
Oop north
Pray tell; where did you get that carbon badge from? And the black grille surround, come to think of it?!?!

I have to confess that I've spent some time considering having the bumpers and kit wrapped, but have yet to find the time to head down to Leeds to see the one chap I'd trust to give it a whirl. I've never quite decided what I'd have it wrapped in either; carbon-look is the obvious choice and I think it'd look good, but I can't decide if it'd also be a bit overkill....

...quite fancied a roof decal too; mine is Candy White, so I was thinking something monochromatic, but that's about as decisive as I got!

Only other thing on the cards at the moment are DRLs; either replacement headlights with DRL strips built in, or replacement units for the fog-lights that combine fogs and DRLs in one. Decisions, decisions...

R.

PHILMEWAGON

Long member
Apr 4, 2013
Boro
Ritch the grill is just the existing one sanded, primed, painted and clearcoated in matt black.
the badge is the original badge wrapped in carbon.

the badge and grill are going to be slightly reworked as soon as I have time - bit scruffy in a couple of places but not bad 1st go!

DRLs look nice, post some pics up if u get em fitted. Im going for performance 1st so my money is going there atm.

The wrap... someone needs to take the plunge and get it done so the all the other freetrack owners can decide if it looks alright :p

kevlaa I reckon you could be right about that bottom lip.

aggie

Apr 28, 2009
DRL's freetrack

rich_b, I am looking to get DRLghts's on my freetrack 2012. I tried the ring led lights off amazon but they did not look right and in any case they were too bulky and hard to fit on the grill below the number plate. I also saw some replacement led units for the fog lights but these were not suitable for the freetrack and the replacement headlights with built in DRL's do not fit my model year. So, I have hit the buffers. I would appreciate any research you or other members have done on fitting DRL's to a freetrack. aggie

H & H 2.3

Jun 20, 2004
Newcastle
Subscribing to this as I'm starting to mod my Freetrack too , only got 19's on it, remap and stubby aerial atm - plans to carbon wrap front grill/badge and very tempted to lower. Already got lowering springs but haven't took the plunge - very interested how yours turns out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PHILMEWAGON

Long member
Apr 4, 2013
Boro
nice one :)

Id be really interested to see how lowering goes if you do it. They way I figure it the car is +40mm as standard, so you need to find a spring that will do -60 to -80mm. That's as far as Ive got with that one heh.

so I said earlier I wasn't happy with the front badge. It had wrapped nicely but when you put it back on the grill the bits at the front that hold it in place cut into the wrap. This made it look raggy from certain angles.

So ive just taken the badge off instead. Its grey in this picture. In a moment of madness I painted it red. Did not want. Ive gone back to grey but I honestly think I might just be leaving the badge off.

In other news car is booked into Darkside for some work this month ill let you know how that goes.

i5vw40.jpg

H & H 2.3

Jun 20, 2004
Newcastle
I'll get a pic of mine with its 19's at the weekend so you can see, the springs I've got are for the XL and are -30mm so I'm working on a 70mm drop. Just got to get it done, I've been told it's not straight forward as the wipers/motor and wiper trims have to be removed to get to the top of the strut mounts?? No idea myself so not sure if this is right. Mines the 2.0T and having the remap is the best thing I've done.
Really like yours without the badge, is it easy to remove?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PHILMEWAGON

Long member
Apr 4, 2013
Boro
ye they are nice, they fill the arches up!

I wish I hadn't spent so much money on tyres tbh or Id be there as well.

tinted my rear lights today, pictures to follow when im sober!

ritch_b

Jul 27, 2012
Oop north
rich_b, I am looking to get DRLghts's on my freetrack 2012. I tried the ring led lights off amazon but they did not look right and in any case they were too bulky and hard to fit on the grill below the number plate. I also saw some replacement led units for the fog lights but these were not suitable for the freetrack and the replacement headlights with built in DRL's do not fit my model year. So, I have hit the buffers. I would appreciate any research you or other members have done on fitting DRL's to a freetrack. aggie

A lot of the DRLs that replace the fog lights do just that; they replace the fogs entirely, which didn't appeal to me. I did find a chap in Germany who was selling replacement units that had a smaller fog light surrounded by a ring of LEDs that formed the DRL, but the item wasn't listed last time I checked. Unlike the majority I'd looked at, these did look a suitable fit for the Freetrack; the mounts were pretty much bang on.

I thought headlights were the same fit for all Freetracks and Alteas though, irrespective of model year?

R.