Freetrack /BMN low power at low revs

Oct 17, 2020
Just bought a 57 freetrack tdi and it has low power at low revs. No codes showing at all and lots of power at high revs although not as responsive as it should be.

I started checking all the vacuum pipes with a hand vacuum pump, was all looking fine even the turbo vains lever moved smoothly.
Found a problem with the swirl flap actuator not holding the vacuum and also not operating the lever at all.
Had the manifold (plastic) off this afternoon and also found a gap where the swirl flap rod goes through the manifold causing a boost leak! The flaps were all intact although the whole rod moved around a lot.

I've ordered a new plastic manifold with actuator and gasket off Ebay which I'll fit and see how it goes. I gave the egr and the other valve a good clean but they both moved ok and weren't too gummed up.

I've yet to inspect all the boost pipes and intercooler, and the turbo whistles a lot too.

The manifold arrives in a couple of days so hopefully that will make a difference!

Mud

Sep 11, 2024
Hi Jimmy, did you get to the bottom of the problem? My low rev driveability was massively improved after I cleaned the MAF sensor with a MAF cleaning spray. It starts much better, much better mpg and much better low down flexibility. I have also been wondering whether I should clean the fuel pressure regulator? I have seen a few pics online where they seem very dirty potentially causing an issue? Thanks

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.