FR184 2.0 tdi

Apr 21, 2024
Hi folks

So I’ve been having a recurring problem with a mysterious coolant leak in my Leon FR 184 so the problem all started a few months back when my heater matrix blocked up with silicate gel I had the heater matrix changed and the system flushed numerous times afterwards to ensure the blockage was definitely cleared the system has been bled correctly each time but I still have a coolant loss that can’t be located by the 3 garages I’ve had the car in since. The car has been pressure tested a few times and they were confident that it wasn’t a head gasket issue but can’t locate the source of the leak while the coolant loss is there the engine doesn’t overheat however I’ve noticed if I sit at 70mph the oil temperate rises to the mid 110s region sometimes I’ve seen the oil temperature rise as high as 120c which is know is far too high for a diesel engine can anybody on here point me in the right direction of what could possibly be wrong because at this minute I’m just throwing money into the car and getting no results I’ve had all the usual changes timing belt water pump etc etc and still no joy in getting rid of this issue

thanks very much guys

Last edited:

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
So you're loosing coolant - but can't see any external leaks?
So the engine must be internally using the coolant - this could be the EGR cooler - or the air to water charge cooler. Both have heat exchangers which can leak coolant into the engine.

Apr 21, 2024
So you're loosing coolant - but can't see any external leaks?
So the engine must be internally using the coolant - this could be the EGR cooler - or the air to water charge cooler. Both have heat exchangers which can leak coolant into the engine.
I’ve heard EGR cooler mentioned before by a person previous but again I’m only going by what mechanics have done and what I can visually see whilst driving I’ll maybe get it back into the garage again and get the EGR cooler checked out

thanks man

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Trouble with the egr cooler - is it's a bit of a pain to get to, down the back of the engine.

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
As above. EGR cooler or charge cooler have been responsible in the past for some people. You literally can't tell the EGR cooler has an issue until you remove it. And yes, it's a PITA to get to.

Good luck with it.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
There are two accessible coolant pipes on top of the charge cooler heat exchanger - so it should be 'straight forward' to connect to these to pressure test the charge cooler to rule this out or not first, before looking at the egr cooler.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.