Failing Clutch?

Nov 27, 2023
Hello Everyone, somehting strange is happening with my Mk3 2.0TDI Leon (63 plate 95K miles). Yesterday I was in crawling traffic with the clutch in and in gear suddely engine stalled and the car tried to auto restart but couldnt. I knocked the car into neutral and it would start but I couldn't select any gears. I took my foot off the clutch and it reamained in place, down at the floor!

I assumed the clutch had gone so started calling friends for a tow (wasn't far from home) whilst waiting I reached to the floor and pulled the cluch pedal back up, hey presto it works and I'm able to drive the car normally! Today I was driving up to a roundabout, put my foot on the clutch to change down gears, and again the clutch is still engaged and as I brake the engine stalls. Hazards on, get out pull the pedal back up and its good to drive away....

Does anyone have any ideas whats going on?! Could this be a clutch issue, or maybe master/slave cylidar issue?

I understand the cylindars are accessable and not a huge job to change (correct me if I'm wrong!) so if I can avoid a clutch (and inevitably a flywheel) I'd prefer that!

Thank you so much for any information or clues!

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
No, the 2.0TDI has a concentric clutch slave cylinder - the type you would need to remove the gearbox to replace!
(unless you have the 110bhp then you have an external slave)

Does sound like your clutch hydraulics - your clutch master is cheaper/easier to replace than your slave cylinder.

Nov 27, 2023
No, the 2.0TDI has a concentric clutch slave cylinder - the type you would need to remove the gearbox to replace!
(unless you have the 110bhp then you have an external slave)

Does sound like your clutch hydraulics - your clutch master is cheaper/easier to replace than your slave cylinder.
Thanks Super! so you don't think its the clutch then? Any ideas how I might diagnose it as being the cylinder? maybe just worth a master cylinder swap?

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Check you have enough fluid in the reservoir first.
Clamp off the clutch hose - and try depressing your clutch pedal - if it still drops to the floor its your master cylinder.
Check for fluid leaks around your master - or under the engine bell housing..
If the clutch slave was failing I would expect you to be loosing fluid - though it might not always be visible under the bell housing.
Doubt it would be your clutch.

Jason2023

Jul 13, 2023
Could it be the actual pedal mechanism? I have a new clutch etc and exactly the same thing but I have lived with it for a while no leaks etc.. I’m sure I read somewhere this is a problem on some models..

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.