Engine choice

christrom

Hi people,

I'm new here so hello and happy new year everyone!

Okay, I have a question to pose on which engine will be right for me when I buy myself a second hand Leon. I've tried to search the forum but with no luck because I'm a retard.

So here goes: I have definately decided on a Leon because I already drive an Ibiza 1.2, and I think the Leon is a beutiful car. I have tested the 1.9 TDI and it seems really nice - Technically, I'm not that knowledgable, but I would like the Leon to be a nice step up from my Ibiza. I don't need anything that will go like **** off a shovel, so I take it the FR/Cupra? are out, but that leaves the rest of them.

So... which engine:

I was thinking the 1.9 TDI, but heard it is a bit noisy and unrefined, but a friend who works for Audi (and therefore servicing similar engines) said that the 2.0 TDI are really good engines, but more tends to go wrong with them than the 1.9 TDI.

The 1.6 petrol was some reviewers favourites, and was quite peppy, but what about the 2.0 litre petrol?

As I said, I want good performance, although not blow your head off, as this will be an everyday car, so MPG is important too. For me it needs to be the best all rounder, but please advise if there are any of the engines I should really steer clear of...

Sorry if this is a bit vague, but I really would be interested in opinions.

Thanks very much :)

cmc

ohhhhh yes.
Sep 13, 2002
Glasgow
Visit site
Depends on what kind of mileage you'll do. If you're going to be doing a lot of annual miles a diesel is the economical choice. The 2.0 diesel is a newer engine than the 1.9.

If you're going to do lower miles and the petrol males sense from an economy point of view and don't want to go as far as having the power of the FR/ Cupra I'd say definitely go for the 1.4 TSI (125 bhp). It's turbo charged and supercharged and offers a good blend of economy and power.

My wife has the 1.6 engine in her MKII Leon and it's a good perky enough engine but it's ageing a bit in terms of technology, economy isn't as good and it's about 100 bhp.

Only trouble with the 1.4 TSI is that it's relatively new. So if you're buying used then choice might be more limited.

Cheers

cmc

alx_chung

Dark Lord of the Torque
Sep 11, 2006
In front of a PC....
Depends on what kind of mileage you'll do. If you're going to be doing a lot of annual miles a diesel is the economical choice. The 2.0 diesel is a newer engine than the 1.9.

If you're going to do lower miles and the petrol males sense from an economy point of view and don't want to go as far as having the power of the FR/ Cupra I'd say definitely go for the 1.4 TSI (125 bhp). It's turbo charged and supercharged and offers a good blend of economy and power.

My wife has the 1.6 engine in her MKII Leon and it's a good perky enough engine but it's ageing a bit in terms of technology, economy isn't as good and it's about 100 bhp.

Only trouble with the 1.4 TSI is that it's relatively new. So if you're buying used then choice might be more limited.

Cheers

cmc

The 1.4 TSI in the Leon is only Turbocharged. The other 1.4 with the Supercharger and Turbocharger is only available on the Golf GT, Ibiza Cupra at the moment.
At the end of the day it all depends on how many miles you do if you are trying to decide between the petrol and the diesel. The 1.9 or the 2.0 TDIs are pretty good solid engines but as said before the 2.0 TDI is the newer engine.
Alex

Aug 16, 2007
Wolverhampton
I would of said the 1.4TSi, looking at the diesels there's abit of a jump from the 105bhp (1.9TDi) and the 140bhp (2.0TDi) If your not going to do a high mileage the 125bhp (1.4TSi) may be one to test drive.

The 1.9TDi can become noisey at higher revs, but it's all down to how you drive?

xhellixx

Jul 27, 2009
Blackpool
www.myspace.com
I agree with the above!

I decided to go for the 1.4 tsi and had it remapped (previously had a 1.2 clio) and it's just what I need!

Yes there's always a case of wanting something a better, but if i bring myself back to the real world - for the mileage i do & price wise couldn't ask for anything better at the minute.

I'd recommend it.

christrom

Hey, thanks for the comments! I'm still weighing up the pros and cons, but this will help make my decision. Think I'll test drive the 1.4 and see how it goes. - If I feel I need a bit more umph I'll perhaps go for the 2.0 TDI.

Thanks a load, really appreciated :)

daz_pd

Apr 15, 2007
N.Ireland
Depends on your budget too, as someone already said the 1.4 TSI is new, so you will have to pay a lot for it.

Jun 1, 2009
west lothian
Hey, thanks for the comments! I'm still weighing up the pros and cons, but this will help make my decision. Think I'll test drive the 1.4 and see how it goes. - If I feel I need a bit more umph I'll perhaps go for the 2.0 TDI.

Thanks a load, really appreciated :)
2ltr TDI remapped to stage 1 gives around 196bhp and 300lb/ft torque and still gives good fuel economy.

kripteksi

The 1.9 TDI engine is choosen by magazines as most elastic engine all the times (after that 220CDI from mercedes) And you have a good potencial of tuning :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.