EAGLE F1 Asymmetric

TeMpTeD

Has anyone had these on their Leon?

I've been searching through all of the forums here about tyres and the obvious choices keep popping up. But I notice a few people have mentioned the above but that's it. There are no mentions in any threads about people having used them.

They look to be an alternative that compliments their current line as opposed to a replacement for the F1 GS-D3 as a couple of the comments I read suggested. Has anyone used these and if so, should I get some instead of the GS-D3's?

Thanks

Dennis

Polisher
May 11, 2005
Haven't heard of them doing an F1 asymestric, have you any pictures or link.

I prefer asymetric tyres due to better fast handling charicteristics hence when for Yoko Prada 2's on our lasses LCR, cost £100 a corner so good value.

NB they don't last long but that is due to their gripy soft compound.

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
my bet is that they will be very good - f1 gsd2 and 3 was an awesome tyre and so is the lower market hydragrip

damn good tyres usually from goodyear if form is anything to go by

Dennis

Polisher
May 11, 2005
Don't look as good as the prada 2's but much better than the GSD3's.

They look like proper performance tyres rather than 'middle of the road' rotational treads

I used to love NXT2's (showing my age) they looked the biz with their square block tread design

StuC

F1 Smart?
Jan 14, 2006
Rugby
They look to be an alternative that compliments their current line as opposed to a replacement for the F1 GS-D3 as a couple of the comments I read suggested. Has anyone used these and if so, should I get some instead of the GS-D3's?

Thanks

My local place are telling me that they can't get GSD3's anymore instead they are offering the Hydragrip or the Excellence as alternatives. :confused:
Does anyone have any experience of these?

They don't look as good as the other F1s

Couldn't agree more. Am I the only one who likes to see a good looking tyre pattern after driving through a puddle just before you park up? :p

Dennis

Polisher
May 11, 2005
I do like a good tread patern but rotational tread are simlpy not as good looking or handling as an asymetric.

Rotational treads are o.k. when you pop some new 15" TWS rims on your festa but these are perormance cars.

Note. generaly all the real handling cars come with asymetric and it's for a reason (I put generaly cuz someone is bount to come up with some exception)

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
My local place are telling me that they can't get GSD3's anymore instead they are offering the Hydragrip or the Excellence as alternatives.

The Excellence was fitted as standard equipment on some of the Focus ST's and most of the owners couldn't wait to get rid of them. They also seemed to suffer from more punctured sidewalls than the other standard fit tyre which was the Continental Sport Contact 2.

No idea how many people were actually happy with them though as they didn't pipe up. Also they're not a patch on the GSD3's when it comes to grip, etc, but they did last longer if you discount the puncture problem. :shrug:

Mar 5, 2007
The GSD3's do look very sexy as far as tyres go, and I had the GSD2's on my old car, and it seemed, due to the tread pattern there was greater tread contact with the road (the edges of the tread simply stopped, rather than tapering out if you know what I mean.

Like this -
|..........|
|_ _ _ _|

Instead of like this:

|.........|
\_ _ _ /

If you get what I mean by my amazing drawing :)

Does anyone know how the Asymmetrics compare?

But yes, they don't look as good as the GSD3's, but I'd never buy a worse tyre because it looked better (all other things considered).

TeMpTeD

Autocar and Evo say they are the best tyre on te market just above Michelin Pilot sports

Say that the Asymmetric's are the best tyre on the market, or are you referring to the GSD3?

I still need some new ones, haven't gotten round to it yet!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.