• Welcome to our new sponsor Lecatona, a brand dedicated to enhancing performance for VAG group sports cars, including SEAT, Audi, Volkswagen and Škoda. Specializing in High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) upgrades.

Dpf issues

Jul 21, 2023
Hi, I’m hoping someone with the same problem as me that has fixed their issue could help. Seat Leon 2.0 tdi 184 128k miles

I noticed a post on this forum about the same issue with multiple people commenting saying they’re having the same issue but no one posted a fix and the post went dead.

My car will start a Dpf regen as soon as I set off from a stand still, completing the regen then turning the car on/off and setting off again, the VAG Dpf app shows 0% soot then jumps to 100% as soon as I start driving again triggering a regen. In order to finish my regens I have to drive for so long then let the car idle finish, if I carry on driving to 90 minutes the dpf light will come on until I turn the car off.

Oil ash showing 60% full. Is the dpf at the end of its life? No sign of reduced power, just constant dpf regens.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
A forced regen is what the dealer would do when an owner has taken the DPF passed the normal regen limits.

Not saying yours has been taken passed the normal limit but it can't hurt to do a forced regen and see how far down the soot loading comes.

If a forced regen doesn't work - then you may have a faulty sensor that is within limits but is reading off enough to trigger regens.

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Hi, I’m hoping someone with the same problem as me that has fixed their issue could help. Seat Leon 2.0 tdi 184 128k miles

I noticed a post on this forum about the same issue with multiple people commenting saying they’re having the same issue but no one posted a fix and the post went dead.

My car will start a Dpf regen as soon as I set off from a stand still, completing the regen then turning the car on/off and setting off again, the VAG Dpf app shows 0% soot then jumps to 100% as soon as I start driving again triggering a regen. In order to finish my regens I have to drive for so long then let the car idle finish, if I carry on driving to 90 minutes the dpf light will come on until I turn the car off.

Oil ash showing 60% full. Is the dpf at the end of its life? No sign of reduced power, just constant dpf regens.
My 2014 184 is at 142,000 miles with oil ash residue of 56.6g or 71%. It still regens fine around 120-140 miles if doing short drives (7 miles each way to work) or longer motorway runs with a regen around 180-200 miles.

It does sometimes tell me on VAG DPF that it's 70% full but suddenly jumps to 100% and regens the next time I drive it. It's not an issue for me as my mileage is 120+ miles so it's not doing a premature regen. My DPF light has never come on.

Yours is a bit odd and could be a bad sensor. It might be the best place to start. If your DPF light is coming on, that suggests is cannot complete a regen or the sensor is giving bad data. I think there is also a sensor on the exhaust but I can't say for sure.

A forced regen would effectively do what your car does anyway and should only be done if the DPF light comes on and you've gone past the point at which the car can trigger a regen itself.

I can't say for sure what it is. I do know someone else had the feed pipe to the sensor full of gunk and that tricked the sensor, so not a bad sensor but partially blocked pipe.

Last edited:

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Do you have high oil consumption?
How often do you top up the oil vs how many miles since last time?

Jul 21, 2023
Do you have high oil consumption?
How often do you top up the oil vs how many miles since last time?
Yeah I have high oil consumption, although it only seems to be on the motorway. I did a road trip of 1500 miles a couple months back and had to top up with 5L of oil during the trip. I’ve done 1000 miles since then and not had to top up at all, I don’t use the motorway much.

Just did another run to try clear the dpf, this time a little more aggressive keeping my rpm above 2500. It wouldn’t budge past 4% after an hour so I let it idle finish, turned engine on and off and after 5 minutes of driving it jumped from 4% 0.73g to 100% 22.64g, there wasn’t a gradual increase just a jump after a few mins of driving.

I also tried out Carista, and it’s not showing any faults with the dpf

Attachments

• IMG_3245.png
    IMG_3245.png
    365 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3244.png
    IMG_3244.png
    433.6 KB · Views: 12
Jul 21, 2023
My 2014 184 is at 142,000 miles with oil ash residue of 56.6g or 71%. It still regens fine around 120-140 miles if doing short drives (7 miles each way to work) or longer motorway runs with a regen around 180-200 miles.

It does sometimes tell me on VAG DPF that it's 70% full but suddenly jumps to 100% and regens the next time I drive it. It's not an issue for me as my mileage is 120+ miles so it's not doing a premature regen. My DPF light has never come on.

Yours is a bit odd and could be a bad sensor. It might be the best place to start. If your DPF light is coming on, that suggests is cannot complete a regen or the sensor is giving bad data. I think there is also a sensor on the exhaust but I can't say for sure.

A forced regen would effectively do what your car does anyway and should only be done if the DPF light comes on and you've gone past the point at which the car can trigger a regen itself.

I can't say for sure what it is. I do know someone else had the feed pipe to the sensor full of gunk and that tricked the sensor, so not a bad sensor but partially blocked pipe.
I might just have to take it to a garage to find out what’s going on, I hope it’s just a sensor but I thought the car would throw some kind of fault code if there was a problem with a sensor?

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Yeah I have high oil consumption, although it only seems to be on the motorway. I did a road trip of 1500 miles a couple months back and had to top up with 5L of oil during the trip. I’ve done 1000 miles since then and not had to top up at all, I don’t use the motorway much.

Just did another run to try clear the dpf, this time a little more aggressive keeping my rpm above 2500. It wouldn’t budge past 4% after an hour so I let it idle finish, turned engine on and off and after 5 minutes of driving it jumped from 4% 0.73g to 100% 22.64g, there wasn’t a gradual increase just a jump after a few mins of driving.

I also tried out Carista, and it’s not showing any faults with the dpf
This will be why your DPF is struggling.
They don't like oil going through them.
5L for 1500miles is very bad.
Keep an eye on your oil consumption -

Reactions: DEAN0
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise