• Welcome to our new sponsor Lecatona, a brand dedicated to enhancing performance for VAG group sports cars, including SEAT, Audi, Volkswagen and Škoda. Specializing in High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) upgrades.

Do I need new break pads?

ciaranmcw

Apr 21, 2018
I only bought this car two weeks ago after it was sourced via a dealer for me. It went through a RAC Checklist prior which stated as having 50% + remaining on the break pads.
But on checking there yesterday, I can not see any of the break pad at all.
To me it looks like the pads are completely gone, but there is no noise from the breaks at all.

I plan to bring to a garage but wont be able to until later in the week.
(Then if given the bad news, I will be checking with the dealer as to what has happened and how there was a check for 50% + only a month ago.)

Seat Leon 2014 FR 184

RKYNqzv.jpg

T5pdbBL.jpg

g9f2ECc.jpg

ciaranmcw

Apr 21, 2018
definitely need to be replaced. This wouldn't passed mot
See in the top picture, is the pad the little bit between?
Would anyone be able to post what theirs looks like so I can know the difference?

KoNG

Jul 27, 2016
London
the brake disk are absolutely ****. They don't acting with almost half of brake area. This looking to me quite hazard as from picture i cant see any of the brake disk been in good state with brake pads you got plenty brake pads left, with all the groove and intact disk. If i can give you advice go to check this on MOT brake test and i bet you none of your wheels passed legal brake limit. Go to the dealer and let them replace all disk and pads as this is quite danger to sold car like that. And if this passed RAC test then someone have a good back hand money

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack2

ramborobert

Apr 5, 2014
It is a bit weird that the brake pad is only making contact with half the suface of the disk are the correct pads fitted? The car could have been sitting a long time and the discs have rusted and the dealership has fitted new pads and they haven't bed in yet. Id take it for a drive and do a few emergency stops then have a look at the discs.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
It is a bit weird that the brake pad is only making contact with half the suface of the disk are the correct pads fitted? The car could have been sitting a long time and the discs have rusted and the dealership has fitted new pads and they haven't bed in yet. Id take it for a drive and do a few emergency stops then have a look at the discs.
I did notice when my car had its pads changed at the front (same discs) for the first 500 miles they were leaving an untouched outer edge. Cleared up now mind.

Wonder if it’s just the shape of the pad matching the shape of the disc.

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
as posted by others you have plenty of pad life left.

how many miles have you done on the car? I would go out for a few late night/early morning hoons and get some temperature into the brakes to see if they clean up.

My rear discs are suffering bad from corrosion. Plenty of pad life but the rust area round the edges is spreading into the pad area. I'll need to replace them soon.

ben4012

Sep 20, 2016
If the car was hanging around before sale and the rust set in it might need a few miles to clean the discs up. Have another look in a few 00.

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
looking at your pics again your discs look quite new. The rust only appears to be surface rust. You can still see the numbers stamped on the outside edge of the disc. The hub part in the middle is nice and clean. I'll go get a pic of mine for comparision

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Those discs are badly scored and I'd be concerned at the lack of pad contact in the first pics.
I'd pull all the pads and check for seized pistons, uneven pad wear etc.

andycupra

status subject to change
the opposite.
the pads have loads of life left and are likely new and need a bit of use to bed in and have full contact.
although never seen patterns like that on the disks before, but this could be scores from the old pads and the new ones simply need time to adopt the current uneven disk surface.

silles

May 4, 2017
20180509_222312.jpg

Mine looks like that, after 1600 miles.
Ignore the rust, just washed it recently and hasn't moved since

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.