Determining standard G/S from BHP

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
Hi All,

Seen plenty of posts here on does my g/s look ok? is my MAF fooked.
Came across this calculation on another site and it is pretty accurate.

To determine what your G/S should be do the below, my car is an LCR 210hp stock and i got 168g/s which was bang on what my VAG logs were saying.

bhp x .8 = expected air mass in g/s

Anyway haven't seen this posted before, so there ya go.

Cheers

Rob

Beaker™

Slightly Unhinged........
Nov 21, 2005
C:\UK\Glos
Hmm, interesting. According to that calculation i should be seeing 174.4g/s. I can't get above 140g/s though. Either my MAF is screwed or you were lucky with your calculation.

Also, a mate of mine (250bhp) should be getting 200g/s according to that but i think the most hes ever seen is 175g/s.

Anyone else getting accurate results?

Last edited:

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Beaker, either your MAF's screwed, or you've got something else to look at... You should be seeing mid to high 150's

MAF based calc's are a grey area, as with a little tweak you can get them to say what you want.

But 0.8 is a bit high, most people would go a little lower @ 0.76

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
definitely, i wonder is there an experienced Vag people out there that can confirm, i know my reading was accurate to 1g/s of what i was reading for loggin.

cheers

Rob

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
Do the math....

211bhp x .76 = 167.96g/s

What power is your engine? What mods etc?

My pc calculator must be broken :crash:

Leon - app engine with ko3s turbo, stage 1 remap, rear exhaust. KN typhoon filter, forge dv. earthing kit. :think: thats about it i think

longman

Stumped!
Mar 13, 2007
Nr Maidstone, Kent
I agree that this is a bit of a grey area. Its the same with the Block 120 logs for BHP.

It will work for a standard car but it doesn't take timing into account and there is a fair bit of power to be had from timing tweaks, when remapping.

This might not work on a remapped engine.

longman

Stumped!
Mar 13, 2007
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Hmm, any more than a CF of 3 is a bit much, especially if its for a prolonged time.

It just means the ECU is cutting the power to stop early detination. Hi temps will cause this too.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.