custom TomTom mount

_Steve

Jul 21, 2004
i've just found an answer to my vibrating TomTom problem :) - the new XL will have an option for a TomTom mount to be fitted, which will both power a newer TT and link it through the car speakers (just like a normal TT with a car-kit) - here's a picture of it in LHD version:
2060921.003.mini3L.jpg

The kit will be offered on the Altea and Leon too.

What do you reckon the look will be on the face of the parts guy at Ted Johnsons when i ask him to order me one ? :)

_Steve

Jul 21, 2004
found another pic showing the custom startup logo Seat have got on thier "factory option" tomtom - looks nice :)

PICT6974.sized.jpg

PICT7007.sized.jpg

JPV

Steve, have you heard whether this will be a self fit bit of kit and if it will take the Tom Tom Go 500 as well as the very latest models?

_Steve

Jul 21, 2004
the first pic came from http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cf...2060921.003/seat/seat-altea-xl-to-be-unveiled

where they say:
New navigation options across the range

Another novelty in Paris are the new navigation options featured on the SEAT Altea XL, Altea, León and Toledo. Developed with TomTom, these models offer the possibility of installing a SEAT kit, which is a connection base attached to the vehicle’s dashboard, where the portable navigator is inserted.

The kit features obvious advantages in terms of ergonomics, functionality and safety. The TomTom navigator gets connected to the base, which is tightly attached to the dashboard. Once connected, the navigator is ready to use. The navigation instructions can be heard over the car’s speakers, and the sound volume of the radio is automatically dimmed. The same thing happens with the hands-free Bluetooth function in the navigator. Besides, the navigator is powered from its base, and is integrated with other functions of the vehicle, such as an automatic connection when the ignition key is turned.

With this new option, SEAT offers a latest-generation portable navigation system as an alternative to the integrated systems featured in the options catalogue. It can also be bought and installed at a later date. This new optional kit, as well as the TomTom GO 710 navigator, are available across the dealership network.

and from TomTom's site :http://www.tomtom.com/news/category.php?ID=4&NID=298&Year=2006&Language=1

TomTom gives SEAT Get Up and GO

TomTom GO integrated into new SEAT cars

September 25th 2006, Amsterdam – TomTom, the leading satellite navigation solution provider, today announces a pan European partnership with SEAT to offer the TomTom GO navigation kit. The TomTom GO 710 will be used as a semi-integrated satellite navigation solution for a range of SEAT models.

The cooperation with SEAT will provide state of the art, semi-integrated satellite navigation with the TomTom GO navigation kit, as an option in a variety of SEAT models including the SEAT Altea, the SEAT Toledo, the SEAT Leon, as well as the brand new family car, SEAT Altea XL (to be launched at the Paris Motor Show – September 2006). The integrated TomTom GO 710 will be available at the affordable price of €749.

The partnership with SEAT is an exclusive European-wide deal and will be available through dealerships from November 2006.

As a semi-integrated solution the TomTom GO navigation kit will provide:

Integrated Design: the device sits on a customised mounting on the dashboard
Dock and GO simplicity
Voice instructions through the car’s sound system – muting the radio or CD player when instructions are delivered
Hands-free calling using the car’s sound system via Bluetooth.
Control of the TomTom GO 710 through SEAT’s standard features, such as turning on the TomTom when the ignition is started, and the device being automatically charged through the car battery
The most up to date door to door mapping of Western Europe

“This partnership with SEAT will provide TomTom’s latest satellite navigation to thousands of customers and ensure that SEAT drivers never get lost”, said Wolfgang Reelitz, vice president automotive sales, TomTom. “This kind of solution truly demonstrates the benefits that TomTom can provide manufacturers such as SEAT”.

“SEAT now is able to offer a wide choice of navigation systems to our customers. In addition to our factory fitted navigation system, this solution really allows us to set ourselves apart from our competition”, says Jörn Hinrichs, Director of Marketing of SEAT. “We have the youngest customers in the market and with the TomTom we are offering to them an affordable navigator integrated in the car. This is also important for those customers who consider navigation systems after the purchase of the car ”.

the last paragraph suggests the whole kit could be retro fitted, but with an RRP of 749 euros i think i'll try to get the parts !

Looks like the mount is for the new widescreens - i think they have a different baseplate than the Go 500/700 series, so i'll have to ditch my 700 if i go for one.

JPV

Thanks for that Steve. It's an interesting development and I'll keep my eye on it. Perhaps the only downside is the security issue. As we all know we have to remove sat nav mounts, and even wipe the tell tale circles from the inside of the windscreen, to stop thieving oiks from smashing into cars just searching for the units.

_Steve

Jul 21, 2004
i don't worry about the security issue - i've hard wired my tomtom into the car and simply cant be bothered to remove the sucker, hide away the charging lead, clean the marks off the windscreen, and then go through all the fuss in reverse to get the mount stuck back in place, to avoid the oinks. I do choose carefully where i park though, more out of issues relating to personal security, and avoiding car-park dings. I suppose i'm lucky in that i haven't been broken into - especially as sometimes i leave the tomtom on display, and once left it lit up all night long on the driveway before i figured out the wiring :)

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
I presume it takes over the existing bluetooth option if fitted making the steering wheel controls and dash display redundant.

Edit: and also the ipod / usb aux input through to the stereo.

Scott

xJib

Here's a pic of it in an Altea at the Paris motorshow.

It does look a very tidy solution but it does increase the blind spot in that area of the windscreen. (though no more than if used the sucker mount to stick it to the screen.)

factory-tomtom-mount.jpg

Lela

Has anyone actually got this kit yet? It is a lot of money but I like the sophistication and lack of that DIY feel. So how much am I really going to pay for it over and above the box and an ordinary mount?

Cupra R

Dec 5, 2001
UK.
Visit site
I have come across these images on the net for mounting the Tom Tom's on. The pic's are of a LHD car, but should be just a mirror image of what we would get. As has been said, would be difficult to hide the fact of no sat nav equipment in the car. BUT a very good, solid place to mount esp as they include charging and integration into the vehicle.

TTDock2.jpg

TTDock1.jpg

TTDock.jpg

Hope these help anyone. I am wanting this installing onto my car.

Definately for the X10 series of Tom Tom though.

Last edited:

_Steve

Jul 21, 2004
Ted johnsons in Barnsley were waiting for the RH drive version of the cradle to fit to thier showroom Altea XL as it was missing from the car supplied - they were going to jot down the part number as it arrived so they could order me one - i must give them a ring to see if it ever turned up.

I'm still pondering over whether to stick with TomTom or try and get hold of a factory NAV setup, and just as i was pondering this Road Angel bring out a product which for me is perfect - its a GPS navigator that uses Ordnance Survey maps:

road_angel.jpg

_Steve

Jul 21, 2004
its £350 RRP, and includes 1:50k maps of all the tourist areas, but as its a product developed by www.memory-map.co.uk i'm presuming you can upload other OS base maps for the area your "exploring".

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise