• Welcome to our new sponsor Lecatona, a brand dedicated to enhancing performance for VAG group sports cars, including SEAT, Audi, Volkswagen and Škoda. Specializing in High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) upgrades.

Coolent Levels

andycalvia

Oct 20, 2004
Ayrshire
HELP.....i think my car is :censored: !!! On new years eve i got a warning on the dash that my engine was over heating, looked at temp and it was at 130 (normally 90) i pulled over and checked coolant level there was a tiny amount in it!!! Refilled it just about 2mm passed the max mark and checked for any signs of leaking, there was no sign at all. Anyway had a wee peek under the bonnet today and its way below the minimum mark again!!!

Any ideas why this would be the case? :confused:

stoneyfordNI

GGG GGG GGGIGITYYY
Jan 9, 2005
Lisburn NI
open the oil fill point and look for signs of "mayo" sure sign of a head gasket, only shows tho if its leaking between an oil and water way tho

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
hope you haven't got any mayo in the oil filler :ban:

there are lots of possible coolant leeks that will only leek when the engine is up to temp and fully pressurized so have a look while the engine is running after a drive

if it's still under warranty get it in to the stealers asap, if not get the cooling system pressure tested

they get the engine up to temp and then screw a pump on to the coolant filler, then they pump away until they get a very high pressure in the system

if its gonna leek it will leek then and make a puddle in the floor which will give a clue as to where the leek is

good luck chap!

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
Yeah those symptoms point right towards the thermostat or your head gasket.

My second TDI lost water all the time, me and techie couldn't work it out. He pressure tested it and all was well! :confused:

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
if your loosing water ppl check the following things!

1.water/coolant (mayo :lol: ) deposits under the oil cap
2.change the coolant pressure cap (common fault on most cars)
3. leaks round the rad connectors here! VVVV the clips can come lose and leak!

IMG_6830.jpg

worst case sanario!!!! is

4. head gasket

if its just drinking coolant try changing the resevoir cap (cheap!) if the problempersists get a vaccume test done in the coolant system

they will drain your coolant and reconnect everything and vaccume all the air out of the system and the dial will indicate pressure if the pressure is lost then there is a leak!

ettlz

Sep 21, 2006
Once had a VW Lupo that did this --- about every three months the coolant level was depleted to almost nothing. Turned out there was a crack in the radiator (it was replaced under warranty). Luckily, though, it never overheated (I remember carving up a motorway one summer not knowing I had very little coolant...).

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.