• Welcome to our new sponsor Lecatona, a brand dedicated to enhancing performance for VAG group sports cars, including SEAT, Audi, Volkswagen and Škoda. Specializing in High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) upgrades.

Coolant

Sep 30, 2024
Hi folks so had a few issues recently with my Leon fr 2016 coolant started emptying checked for leaks etc wasn’t any. Garage had a look said it was the charge cooler had that replaced then same thing happened they said it was their mistake & they replaced the radiator at no extra charge,it’s only been a few journeys since I’ve had the car back the coolant isn’t emptying but has gone down however now & again there’s steam & a slight burn smell coming from the bonnet…nightmare can’t seem to find what the problem any info help experience with this appreciated. Also matrix heater was done 12-18months ago

Last edited:

DigitalSushi

Sep 7, 2020
Not sure of your exact engine but if it is the EA888 then you may have the dreaded thermostat housing issue.

Basically VW made the thermostat housing out of plastic that awesomegti described as "not good with heat". It starts to crack over time and leaks out. Mine did it at about 70k miles. Its a bit of a known issue with this engine

It cost me somewhere like £500, cant remember exactly, but that also included a new water pump as you might as well whilst you are in there.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
It is possible that after doing the rad - the system wasn't bled fully.

It is quite common after a cooling system drain & fill for the level to drop after some miles as the air in the system escapes.

I would top it up when cold to the max level - then monitor for any further loss of coolant.

Reactions: Fozza81
Sep 30, 2024
Not sure of your exact engine but if it is the EA888 then you may have the dreaded thermostat housing issue.

Basically VW made the thermostat housing out of plastic that awesomegti described as "not good with heat". It starts to crack over time and leaks out. Mine did it at about 70k miles. Its a bit of a known issue with this engine

It cost me somewhere like £500, cant remember exactly, but that also included a new water pump as you might as well whilst you are in there.
Not heard of this so I will look into it thank you for the info

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.