Converting interior to all black

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Been wanting to do this for a while, as my light grey Cupra interior was starting to look pretty grubby, plus the headliner had damage to it near the back. I planned to buy some black R bits and cover some of my old grey trim panels with black alcantara, full write-up is here: http://www.rd20vturbo.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/interior.html, but here are a few pics of the work:

int16.jpg

int05.jpg

int07.jpg

int09.jpg

int22.jpg

int23.jpg

I sprayed some parts in satin black and covered some in black alcantara, waiting on more material, eventually all the pillar trims will be covered in alcantara. The door seal trim was a bit of a nightmare as the alcantara wanted to wrinkle all the time [:@] , but got there eventually! I bought the black R headliner, grab handles, sun visors and B-pillar trims and re-did the other original parts myself, either sprayed satin black or covered in alcantara. More pics once the new material arrives and I finish the rear pillar panels.

The end result looks great, far more sporty and matches the black leather seats alot better too. :coolthumb

Last edited:

slick

Bit of an animal
Mar 15, 2005
Essex
looks great Rob....

How much did the headlining and grab handles etc cost you Rob.... need to do it to mine and had trouble sourcing the lining and parts, so wonder how much u paid and where from!

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Black headliner was £121.42, handles were £16.20 each, sunvisors were £27.39 each, B-pillar trims were £11.95 and £9.33 (dunno why they are different prices?). All prices + VAT.

Ordered it all from my local SEAT dealership.

DaveP

Small Member
Oct 3, 2001
Wiltshire
Visit site
How difficult is it to get the headliner on/off? Is it a 2 person job?

I was thinking of taking mine off (in my 3dr Ibiza) and sticking some more soundproofing up there.

actually, just read your web page. It sounds relatively easy!

Last edited:

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Quite easy really, once the grab handles and pillar trims are off it just falls down really. Two people ideally but I managed it myself, installing the new black one I used a camera tripod to support the front while I screwed in the rear handles - all fairly easy really.

slick said:
looks great Rob....

How much did the headlining and grab handles etc cost you Rob.... need to do it to mine and had trouble sourcing the lining and parts, so wonder how much u paid and where from!
I've got a Grey one headling out of my car for sale at the mo with all the trims, you can have the lot for £40 and cover/paint what you want.

collection only

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Very similar yes, except mine has lots of black alcantara! ;)

More material arrived today so the C/D rear pillar trim panels and top panel across the back are all alcantara and fitted now, the B-pillars are the last to be done - PITA with the seatbelts going through them though!

slick

Bit of an animal
Mar 15, 2005
Essex
looks nice Rob... very OEM too!!

Just shame its so expensive for the pieces......

Where did you get the Alcantara for the car and you meationed that you just covered the grey rubber trim around the seals with alcantara and fixed it using carpet tape? Must have been a long sliver of alcantara to do it without joins?!

If you like black interiors once i get my headlining done i think u might like the dash on mine..... will put up photos once finished and seat retrim has been finished.... [B)]

RobDon

Pro Detailer
I found 2 places that sell alcantara, Capital Seating were far quicker plus they sell Recaro material too!

http://www.capitalseating.co.uk/default.asp
http://www.autoacoustics.com/

I bought black Dinamica suede. Yes, long thin bits to cover the door seal trim, double-sided carpet tape is very sticky and thin, worked well, tucked in either side under the rubber lip and folded round. I did have to join it at the back as the curve is very tight and it refused to co-operate, kept wrinkling and pulling away! Joins are difficult to see fortunately.

slick

Bit of an animal
Mar 15, 2005
Essex
Cheers mate, might buy the cloth for the seals, got other plans for the plastic panels....

Otherwise, are the seals seen as parts to buy from a dealer? Shouldnt cost that much should they? :confused:

ALEX**

WTF
Feb 26, 2004
south-East
Visit site
well done rob loosks good.

now u just need to trim the grey dash and door cars in alcanara and it will look awesome.

wat have u done about the interior sensors as they are 176 each from the dealer?

i was lucky did the whole thing all seat parts no paiting for 200 inc parcel shelf

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.