clutchs what the best to go for

soamer

soamer
Jan 8, 2007
telford
hi guys after a good thrashing my cupra 8v around castle combe i think i may need to change the clutch :drive2:
looking back at the history i have it may be the original one so its possible done 118356:lol:
as im going to be using it for track days/road rallys and a few sprint and hill climbe events whats the best one to get !

jcs356

Cordy owner
Jul 12, 2004
Englandland
Hi Rich, I had mine done about 6 weeks ago. After various discussions with the garage, we decided to go with an O/E one bought directly from Volkswagen. The mechanic who knows his VWs said that there was plenty of spare capacity in the clutch for a lot more torque than my 8v will ever produce.

This was partly influenced by the fact that I've got a bad left knee following an operation and I didn't want something that was too heavy to use.

Mine did 104,000 on the original clutch - of which the last 7,000 included about a dozen track days - and it was only just starting to get a bit dodgy, so your mileage on the original sounds right.

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
i hammer mine alot , harsh gear changes high in the revs in my 16v, i was thinking when it does decide to call it aday, an uprated organic thing are they? they look standard (not like one of those paddle ones) but have alot less flex allowing for more shite to go through them?

Smithy

Old School
Jan 17, 2002
Hertfordshire
I've thought about what I'd do if my clutch started to go. Judging from what I've read in the past, I'd definitely go for OEM again, they're tried and tested for I reckon between 60k - 100k, which will outlive my ownership of the car I'm sure. Don't wana risk a sports clutch and have it annoy you in traffic etc, the cars dont have that much power anyway.

soamer

soamer
Jan 8, 2007
telford
i was looking at a grp n omp but if the oem is good enough for 100.000+ ill stick with that

thanks for all the help guys
soamer

bullit

if you want one that will stand up to alot of stick then a HELIX is what you are after, cost a lot £350ish for cluch plate and pressure plate.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.