Clicking sound near the turbo when starting engine

Jul 17, 2022
Hi all, have a 2019 Seat Leon 1.5tsi (130bhp version with the DACA engine). When starting the car, i get a very loud clicking/rattling/ticking noise from around the turbo area. After around 30 seconds the noise disappears. I know about the turbo actuator having problems on the dada engines but their turbos are different to these. Anyone have any idea what could be causing it? No EML and no codes stored, just a really loud ticking noise for around 30 seconds, once car is warm, if i restart it , i don’t hear the clicking noise. I grabbed the turbo actuator rod and that didn’t make a difference at all so it isn’t that. Won’t let me upload a video but i will upload a picture of the turbo on these cars. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_4080.jpeg
    IMG_4080.jpeg
    53.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4079.jpeg
    IMG_4079.jpeg
    76.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4078.jpeg
    IMG_4078.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 32

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
The 130 has a rather unique turbo for a petrol engine - the first mass produced variable geometry turbo on a petrol engine.
In the exhaust/turbine housing there are lots of movable veins (similar to a TDI turbo) - which is what the actuator moves.

I see you have a video on your redit post. I would upload the video to youtube and post a link on here.

Sounds like something is catching to me.
What's the history of the engine? does it drive ok?

Jul 17, 2022
The 130 has a rather unique turbo for a petrol engine - the first mass produced variable geometry turbo on a petrol engine.
In the exhaust/turbine housing there are lots of movable veins (similar to a TDI turbo) - which is what the actuator moves.

I see you have a video on your redit post. I would upload the video to youtube and post a link on here.

Sounds like something is catching to me.
What's the history of the engine? does it drive ok?
Hi mate, finally i got a reply of someone who knows what they’re talking about lol here is a link to the video i posted on youtube. Tried editing this post last night but i think the web server had crashed. See below link. History is the engine was from a breakers as the car was damaged in an accident and was cheaper to replace the entire thing rather than individual parts. Turbo is off the new engine that came with the car, i don’t know what the old turbo sounded like as i purchased the car after it was damaged. I can understand some rattle but this is excessively loud, can hear it even with the bonnet closed.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
I would use a long screwdriver as a stethoscope to probe each part to find the exact source of the noise.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise