Cheap Upgrade on your 312mm brake system

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Yeah Brembo 2 pieces are around the £300 mark each...

ECS tuning sets, 355 x 32 2 pieces are around the same figure but in dollars so £300 for the pair!

Roger i was chatting to Aaron about this last night, he reckons with the addition of a spacer and longer bolts you could mod the kit i've got to take a larger disc .... might have a look at this next year or maybe look at two piece 312mm discs for the existing kit.

tris

The Daddy
Feb 25, 2005
Kent & Track Days
www.leoncupra.net
Stage 2 V1 Kit
Works out about £600 odd, granted you will/may need spacers like unclefester did.

Or if thats a little to rich for you, get a pair of these

Stage 1 kit

This keeps your OE caliper and carrier, but enlarges the disc size to 332mm
More leverage at that size disc..... and its alittle cheaper at £300 odd
Although your need a set of 288mm carriers, which i have if you need them... as its based on a upgrade from 288 to 332!

Any questions mate, just drop us a call/pm :D

What do you think they would cost all in ie from buying to being on the car?

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
I got CRN grooved discs for 89 quid and DS2500 pads for the Porsche calipers, cost me about 90 quid for the set. I can change for 2 piece 312mm discs if needs be but it won't cost me both my arms and one leg to do it.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Thats a good webby Pat. So if i was to order from them I am basically getting same disc for much less? Is there a catch to it?

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Thats a good webby Pat. So if i was to order from them I am basically getting same disc for much less? Is there a catch to it?

I don't know but from what little i understand, it's the pad that causes the problem - as long as the discs are of a reasonable quality you should be ok. The whole point of two piece discs ( as i understand it) is that they dissipate the heat a lot better than a single piece item. Once the bells are bought ( which you have already) as long as those discs mate up to the bolt pattern / size on your bells you should be able to fit them.

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Just for info to save searching

Ok .. calipers

First you need to get familiar with the part numbers, Porsche number them sequentially.

There's 3 sets of numbers, first bank of 3 denotes the model of car, the third set denotes left or right calipers and the last two digits ( not shown) are revision numbers.

Mine for example are;

986.351.421 and 986.351.422 so i know they're a pair.

I was watching a set and bidding on a set on ebay, asked the seller whether the caliper part numbers matched and he said yes - thankfully someone outbid me - i don't think it was dishonesty, just didn't know enough about what he was selling. Problem with buying from ebay is that you've no idea whether you're buying 2 left fronts or 2 right fronts or a mix of front and back - unless you're buying from someone that has removed a full set off a car and goes to the trouble of taking pictures that clearly show ALL partnumbers. Also, without the part numbers you've no idea what car they came off - since the neuspeed carrier kit is specifcally for the boxster calipers - it was important to get those and to do that you need to know what part numbers are required - awesome also have those on their website which i confirmed by using the links below.

However, if you're prepared to do a bit of digging you can pick them up for between 250 - 300 + vat for a pair in reasonable mechanical condition, the cosmetic condition seems to vary widely.

I should point out that you can pick them up for around 250+vat each from a dealer ... an option if you're more minted than me. However at that price you're as well buying the kit from Awesome.

Problem for me is always money, i can scrat 800 quid together over 2 months i just can't do it one hit so even though this hasn't been that much cheaper than the Awesome kit, i've been able to spread the cost a bit.

For UK porsche breakers;

http://www.douglasvalley.co.uk/
http://www.clubautosport.co.uk/

I used these sites for most of the info;

For boxster part numbers

http://www.bombaydigital.com/boxster.../brakes/parts/

For brake pads, spring clips and bolts n ancilliaries

http://www.pcars.com/

For general brake caliper info

http://www.renntech.org/forums

1. Calipers ( mis heard the bloke when he quoted me on the phone) £376 inc vat and delivery
2. DS2500 pads £110 inc vat and delivery
3. Neuspeed carrier kit and hoses / bolts - £230 inc vat and delivery
4. 312mm vented grooved discs - £100 inc vat and delivery
5. Porsche Caliper pad retaining pins, spring plates and pin circlips and carrier bolts - £47 inc vat and delivery
6. forgot to add paint and caliper transfers - £20

We're just short of £900 once it's all in. Calipers could have been sourced cheaper, i know they can be found cheaper but i thought he said £200 + vat and delivery, not 300 plus vat and delivery and since they were in such good nick ... i kept them.

Neuspeed only supply the OEM Textar pads which are NOT the same pad material as the porsche ones so i'd have had to add £110 onto the £934 they wanted for the same kit.

Their price inc upgraded pads - £1044
My price - £873

Saving - £171

Last edited:

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
I have 5x100 ally bells in stock on AP fitment pcd
Cheaper way of getting 2-piece disks, but caliper clearance on phat caliper remains

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
How much are the bells going for Bill? It's something i'll be looking into as long as the cost isn't exhorbident?

As for clearance, you WILL need 10mm spacers on most wheels, the 17" audi TT/S3 being the only one that doesn't i'm told.

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
As above, you can buy MBT bare carriers that can be machined to fit any radial mounted caliper but they're going to be expensive to machine unless you're in the trade. Reason i went for porsche boxster NON S ones was that's the specific caliper the neuspeed carrier is machined for :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.