• Welcome to our new sponsor Lecatona, a brand dedicated to enhancing performance for VAG group sports cars, including SEAT, Audi, Volkswagen and Škoda. Specializing in High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) upgrades.

Changing calipers, replacing fluid, bleeding etc

Icecavern

Jun 12, 2001
Berkshire, UK
www.icecavern.com
Right this weekend or next ( assuming bracket parts turn up etc ) I'm going to be replacing all the brake calipers on the Cordoba. Mk4 Golf rear calipers with goodridge hoses, and LCR brembos with goodridge hoses.

So I need someone to explain how I'd go about doing all this?

So far I've read, give the joints a good soaking with WD40 or similar ( I've got some release spray from halfords that seems better than WD40 for loosening rusty nuts and bolts ) and then a million and one different ways of doing the job. Engine running to keep the ABS pump going seems to be a must.

So could someone explain what I need to do? At the minute the old calipers are still connected up to keep crap out of the system. When I unbolt these will the old fluid all p**s out?

I bought an EZ-bleed kit a while back but it has no instructions with it so no idea how that works :shrug:

I'm assuming I'll need the car up on 4 axel stands to do this job since I'll need access to everything. Best go buy another two... :lol:

Pete

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
The fluid shouldn't p**s out ... but air will rush in pretty quick unless you clamp the hose back on itself

I'm a bit sceptical of brake changes on VAG cars now. I thought I was being really careful with the Toledo and still ended up with a bill for £300 for a new master cylinder

The old pumping method seems to do for the seals in the master cylinder pretty easily (this was with the engine off)

If I was doing it again, I'd find a pressure bleeder - which as far as I understand forces fluid in the 'wrong' way ..... or just drive it to a local dealer and pay them £40 or whatever it's going to work out at, to do it for you

You could always free up the existing nuts first to save on any unexpected labour cost ;)

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
LOL

You could book it in for the MOT at the garage (if it's at that stage already) and just drive it down when it's quiet ........ assuming the handbrake works

gazjones

there is my guid on the mk4 312mm conversion same principle really. fronts should be easy ish but never done rear calipers but principle is the same bar the removal of the handbreak mechanism, not sure how to do that but think its pretty straight forward. my advise would be remove all old parts off the hubs and keep calipers connected to the brake lines and hang them out of the way. then disconect and put straight into new caliper. then just use easy bleed to remove the air out of the system.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Pete

I've done the 312mm conversion on my Ibiza which involved caliper swaps, it's dead easy.
Not sure if there are any unusual bleed procedures for Brembos, but in general:

I first screwed a sheet of polythene under the master cylinder cap, to help reduce the amount of fluid lost. (Clean polythene, obviously ;) )

Then before unbolting the old caliper, I got some blocks of wood of a suitable height for it to rest on without it hanging off the flexible hose.
Also, just "crack" the hose connection while the caliper is still bolted, so when it's unbolted and you've got nowt to lever against, you can undo the hose OK.

Got the new caliper ready to hand.

Undid the hose from the old caliper, moved new one in place, screwed up the hose again. Bugger all fluid loss really.

Refitted caliper/pads/etc, made sure hose was done up tight.

Did other side.

Then pressure bled with Gunsons Eezibleed. I always drop the tyre pressure down pretty low to be on the safe side, don't fancy the reservoir popping off ;)
Fill the bottle, attach it to the reservoir, attach to tyre to get some pressure.
Then open each bleed nipple until plenty of fluid has run out, and it's gone clean & free of air. The first bit of fluid that came out was quite dark.
I suggest attaching a section of clear hose to the bleed nipple, this makes it easier to see whether the fluid coming out is clean or not.
Also - keep a constant eye on the fluid level in the Gunsons bottle.
I'd budget for at least a litre of fluid to do a half-decent change, probably 2.

Oh, and don't forget to pump your tyre back up again :D

Last edited:
Lecatona HPFP (High-pressure Fuel Pump Upgrades)