Car jolting when I give it some throttle

abhardwaj1990

Yes, I'm licking my hand
Mar 16, 2009
Shottingham
Afternoon all, not posted in the good ol' mk2 section in a while........

Right I have a small problem, hopefully an easy fix.

First occurred a few weeks ago but has got worse, I was on the motorway cruising at 65-70, went to overtake, so put my foot down and the car jolted a bit, revs dropped slightly and speed dropped to about 60mph..............whereas if I gently apply the throttle it doesn't do this.

Only seems to occur when in 5th and I apply the throttle..........

After a bit of searching, I'm guessing I would need to clean out the throttle body? I thought that would have been done on my last major service which was in the summer, I've not done that much mileage since........But I will clean it out again during this week when I get chance......

If it isn't that does anyone know what else it could be?

Cheers in advance :)

Last edited:

Kai_1600

Shallow
Dec 10, 2005
Manchester
I'd clean the TB and if not the above check the coil with a spare if you've got a mate with a Mk2 you can swap it with (5 min job if you've got little fingers to get down the back of the guttering type stuff)

critch4

Ibiza GTi 16v Cupra Sport
Aug 20, 2009
Newcastle
I had this problem in my old 1litre mk2, except it was really bad in all gears especially when it was wet, like a really bad misfire when you put your foot down. it was my dizzy cap and rotor arm, they were nakered so the spark was jumping between the cylinders randomly.

abhardwaj1990

Yes, I'm licking my hand
Mar 16, 2009
Shottingham
Thanks for the replies,

A few others have also said that it could be the Distributor cap and rotor arm.......how would I go about checking these?
Any diagrams?

Thanks

Kai_1600

Shallow
Dec 10, 2005
Manchester
dizzy cap will be held on with 2 metal clips that you'll probably need a screwdriver to pop off - the rota arm is inside the dizzy cap.
Just make sure its not broken, wet or covered in shite - there'll be a little carbon rod in the middle that needs not to be broken as well.

If its wet give it a wipe and bit of wd40 won't do it much harm

I think :p

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Could be:

* weak fuel pump not meeting demand
* Distributor cap and arm - check and put Vaseline on, mad as it sounds it helps!!
* Blocked fuel filter
* Throttle body
* Drive train issue - I'd leave this one til last.

abhardwaj1990

Yes, I'm licking my hand
Mar 16, 2009
Shottingham
Well boys, i check the dizzy cap and rotor arm seemed fine, cleaned out the throttle body, and was running fine till tonight, the "jerking" got really bad, even when not giving that much power,

Then engine cut out on the way home on a dual carriageway (a52) at about 10.00 tonight :(.....it wouldn't start again, called the RAC (who were great, got there in 20 mins). The engineer checked the distributor cap and rotor arm first, seemed fine, then throttle body, also fine but car still cutting out......

In the end he couldn't figure it out, was either that a breather pipe may have come loose, letting air in, but he couldn't see it or not enough fuel reaching the engine (fuel pump).....so had to be towed home :(

Has been dropped of at my parents mates garage so he will have a look tomorrow

Kai_1600

Shallow
Dec 10, 2005
Manchester
That REALLY sounds like your coil has been on the way out for a while and has finally died.

TBH i would have expected the RAC bloke to have a spare coil in the van and to have tried it

abhardwaj1990

Yes, I'm licking my hand
Mar 16, 2009
Shottingham
Took it to my mechanic, he's had a look, cleaned it all out, checked the coil, scanned it, reset the ecu etc etc, seemed fine starting running fine but it started jolting again.

He said he will take a look again and that its most likely the throttle body, definitly nothing to do with the ignition/electrical side of things :shrug:..................and I know they're not cheap to replace :cry:

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
tried on a 97 to see whats what

030 133 064D
is the number for the AEX 1.4 + AER/AEE/AKV/ALM/APQ/ANX (>>> 6K-X-015000)

030 133 064F
is the number for AER/AEE/AKV/ALM/APQ/ANX ( 6K-X-015000 >>> )

looks hopeful but depends on engine code and chassis number (change is build 05/98) but to be honest you won't beat checking for numbers on either of them to be sure mind

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.