cams and 20vt

Justcraizy

Jan 17, 2006
Helllloo

Wondering here how to further improve my ibiza.
Like you know 1.8T will die after approx 5500rpm and cams are nice things with what we could actually move max torque position.
If to leave in standard K03 and install performance cams what will start happening in the engine?
Will the car run better in upper RPM range or the engine still wont get enough air due to the fact that turbo is quite dead? Anyone with any experience with it?

Simon L

Audi TTS
Sep 24, 2004
Glasgow
The 1.8T engine doesnt die after 5.5k. Thats an awfully general statement.

The small turbo causes the power band to drop off, not the internals.

Many IHI'd ibiza's rev to ~7k and produce good power on standard cams.

Justcraizy

Jan 17, 2006
LOL

>>The small turbo causes the power band to drop off
That's what I ment, probably my English sucks...

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
power drop of is small turbo's inability to shift enough air at pressure at those rpms. Its too small an airpump for that, but does have good low to mid range ability

Justcraizy

Jan 17, 2006
Yes, power drops due to the amount of air. But will the engine need extra air if we install higher rpm cams? It moves max torque position to higher rpm. Idle will be messed up but max torque will move up approx 1500-2000 rpms(just an example, depending from cams).

I want to know how much extra air engine needs due to that? Approximately?
Maybe its very bad idea, but I'm just curious.

Justcraizy

Jan 17, 2006
At 6500RPM air flow is not zero to the engine! Turbo is pressing air into it anyway. Question is: is there a way to calculate whether there is enough air or not for performance cams? Probably not enough air, but how to calculate the needed amount????

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise