• Welcome to our new sponsor Lecatona, a brand dedicated to enhancing performance for VAG group sports cars, including SEAT, Audi, Volkswagen and Škoda. Specializing in High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) upgrades.

Boot rattle

Aug 7, 2024
Hello everyone I have a 2019 seat leon cupra and since i got it it’s had this weird rattle or small knocking noise in the boot area almost centre, I thought it might be shocks or something so i changed both shocks at the back and still there, not exhaust as i checked, it sounds as if it’s coming directly from the centre boot, i removed everything from the boot and it’s still there it normally happens lower speeds when you go straight left or right so it’s random any ideas what that might be please thank you

Ken Adams

Apr 13, 2023
Hi, I've had similar issue. Low speed knocking which sounded like some suspension issue.

Try this.

Screenshot 2024-10-04 093558.png

I've also put a small chunk of a textil tape on boot latch. No rattles or knocking ever since.
Screenshot 2024-10-04 093918.png

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
@Greycupra290 - The source of unwanted noises in a car can be very deceptive, often originating from somewhere different to where you think they’re coming from.

A common source of unwanted noises from the boot / rear cabin area in many VAG cars is the rear seat backrest latching mechanism. The latch inside the seat backrest can rattle against the metal loop that it latches onto when the backrest is in the upright position. An easy way to check if this is the cause of your unwanted noise is to lower the seat backrests and go for a drive; If the noise does stop, then the seat back latch is the source of your rattling noise.

A cheap, simple and effective cure is to wrap some tape around the metal loop circled in the picture below to remove any free play between the latch mechanism and the loop. Picture is of a mk7 Golf estate, but I beleive the Leon uses the same latching mechanism.

IMG_0597.jpeg

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
@Greycupra290 - The source of unwanted noises in a car can be very deceptive, often originating from somewhere different to where you think they’re coming from.

A common source of unwanted noises from the boot / rear cabin area in many VAG cars is the rear seat backrest latching mechanism. The latch inside the seat backrest can rattle against the metal loop that it latches onto when the backrest is in the upright position. An easy way to check if this is the cause of your unwanted noise is to lower the seat backrests and go for a drive; If the noise does stop, then the seat back latch is the source of your rattling noise.

A cheap, simple and effective cure is to wrap some tape around the metal loop circled in the picture below to remove any free play between the latch mechanism and the loop. Picture is of a mk7 Golf estate, but I beleive the Leon uses the same latching mechanism.

View attachment 44747
You beat me to it! I've had the rattly rear seat issue on a Passat estate and Octavia hatch, both solved with the tape fix.

Reactions: SRGTD

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
You beat me to it! I've had the rattly rear seat issue on a Passat estate and Octavia hatch, both solved with the tape fix.

I had rear seat rattle in a mk6 Golf GTD and the tape fix solved it too. If the tape wears through as a result of repeatedly lowering and raising the rear seat backrest, it’s cheap and easy to replace 🙂 (never needed to replace it in my GTD though).

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members