• Welcome to our new sponsor Lecatona, a brand dedicated to enhancing performance for VAG group sports cars, including SEAT, Audi, Volkswagen and Škoda. Specializing in High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) upgrades.

bleeding coolent!

sickpupppy

lmao@ my typo'd user name
Jul 8, 2009
carlisle, the frozen north
hi again,
i am having a few issues with the cooling system on my 1.4,
since replaceing the thermostat valve i have lost my heater!
i am told it is an air lock, after about half n hour of burning my hand with hot fluids and getting very wet i gave up.

i have now an occasional trickle of heat but it is clear there is still a lot of air in the system.
any ideas or special technique required for this job???
have been filling header to max, then lifting out of engine bay to gain pressure, while removing outlet pipe from bulkhead to allow air out.
thanks in advance guys
Dan
aka sickpuppy

toonfiend

Hail to the Plug!!!!
Jun 27, 2008
When you put your coolant back in make sure you pour it in really really slowly, run your engine while your doing it and every now and again give all your coolant pipes a good squeeze.

sickpupppy

lmao@ my typo'd user name
Jul 8, 2009
carlisle, the frozen north
Thanks guys. I've tried the above and despite burning my hands a couple times while squeezing pipes lol. Still no heater. Engine running hotter than normal but not too bad. It seems to sit just below the three quarter mark. Got a bit of air out of the system too.
I am starting to think it could be the pump that's at fault. However I'm going away for a night out tonight so a good run may hopefully blast any air remaining out of the system.
Not a great deal more I can do for now I guess.
Thanks again

oh. Is the pump a bugger to change? I've heard it is cam driven. Any thoughts?